2330 206 Testing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GavMcleod

Reaction score
Alright,

I'm just going to sit my 206 practical and need a quick recap on going about testing the completed circuit.

I understand to test the R1+R2 I must link the croc clip on the line to the earth of the circuit I'm testing then test the end outlet between live and earth for continuity.

What I need is a quick recap on how to test for Ze, R2 alone and also both Insulation Resistance test's. I know the sort of results I should be looking for, just the actual testing itself.

Thanks very much,

Gav.

Edit: Lighting Circuit: Fluorescent lamp, two junction boxes, two two way switches and one intermediate switch.

A3 Radial: 3 Double sockets and one fused spur.

R2 alone ; wander lead croc clip at Earth bar on C Unit other end on end of line CPC connection

Ze Loop tester SWITCH OFF MAIN SWITCH ON C Unit, disconnect earth lead from Earth bar, connect earth croc clip to Earth Lead, and CAREFULLY connect Live Probe onto LIVE terminal on incoming side of Main switch

IR Tests; DISCONNECT SUPPLY AND ALL LAMPS/EQUIPMENT FROM CIRCUIT, disconnect circuit L and N from Mcb and N bar, Connect INSULATION TESTER one lead to Earth Bar other lead to L conductor of circuit, then test to N conductor then between L and N

That's great thanks I understand now.

The one thing that's slightly tripping me up is on the R2 when the other end of the croc clip goes on the end of the line CPC connection, where exactly do you mean? I'm trying to picture it now, then do I just test the end outlet again?

Many Thanks,

Gav

If your end of line on the Lighting circuit is at the Light then just connect onto CPC terminal at light fitting, if its a switch, at the switch CPC terminal.

You are just proving you have CONTINUITY of the CPC by testing that a circuit is complete between those two points using YOUR meter

Hello Gav,

Welcome to the forum.

TBH Mate, They tell you that because you are on level two, you should not be testing live. Ie: Ze.

They will tell you the same thing on Level 3 too.

Best Regards,

Admin.

Thanks very much, I understand fully now about the end of the circuit etc.

Interesting about the Ze, probably find out more about that when I start placement.

Very grateful to you both,

Thanks,

Gav.