2330 Exam ( live and dead test )

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L Plate

Reaction score
Hello and good evening all..

I need some help again please , I have an upcoming exam in 2330/206 next week...Earlier today I've done live test in our workshop using Flukes T50 ( volt tester and for safe isolation ) Flukes 334 clamp meter for 3phase and single phase and current measurement . so far it was okay but my concern now is doing the dead test ... for my coming exam , i need to install 2 way lighting circuits conventional for 2 bulkhead luminaire fittings , 3 x twin socket radial with a single socket spur and also i need to install PVC/SWA cable between the switch fuse and the consumer unit. I am confident for this small installation but my worry really is doing the testing for continuity , insulation resistance and polarity .. Please if anyone has time to give me some easy way of doing it would be a big help for me , I am reading some in the OSG for more info but i think your ideas ( from your years and years of experience ) is much easier to understand rather than in the text book ( pls dont get me wrong , i;m not saying text book is not good )

my understanding on continuity test is not that good , as far as I know

Using Flukes 1652

1) in CU link line and cpc

2) set the tester to continuity mode

3) link both lead to check the tester , 'tshould be 0.00 mohms

4) in the outlet , clip the line and the cpc then press test .. result should be 0.07ohms or less..

Again, thanks a lot guys for your time

lplate

Hello and good evening all..I need some help again please , I have an upcoming exam in 2330/206 next week...Earlier today I've done in live test in our workshop using Flukes T50 ( volt tester and for safe isolation ) Flukes 334 clamp meter for 3phase and single phase and current measurement . so far it was okay but my concern now is doing the dead test ... for my coming exam , i need to install 2 way lighting circuits conventional for 2 bulkhead luminaire fittings , 3 x twin socket radial with a single socket spur and also i need to install PVC/SWA cable between the switch fuse and the consumer unit. I am confident for this small installation but my worry really is doing the testing for continuity , insulation resistance and polarity .. Please if anyone has time to give me some easy way of doing it would be a big help for me , I am reading some in the OSG for more info but i think your ideas ( from your years and years of experience ) is much easier to understand rather than in the text book ( pls dont get me wrong , i;m not saying text book is not good )

my understanding on continuity test is not that good , as far as I know

Using Flukes 1652

1) in CU link line and cpc

2) set the tester to continuity mode

3) link both lead to check the tester , 'tshould be 0.00 mohms

4) in the outlet , clip the line and the cpc then press test .. result should be 0.07ohms or less..

Again, thanks a lot guys for your time

lplate
Hi Mate,

GN3 is by far the best book for testing .

result should be 0.07ohms or less.. it should be low but depends on the cable length. If your testing continuity of bonding it must be under 0.05 ohms but not too sure where you got your 0.07 ohms from.

Cheers

Hi Mate,GN3 is by far the best book for testing .

result should be 0.07ohms or less.. it should be low but depends on the cable length. If your testing continuity of bonding it must be under 0.05 ohms but not too sure where you got your 0.07 ohms from.

Cheers
thanks a lot for your reply Matt, GN3 ? where should i get it ? BTW the 0.07ohms was bit high and yea i will really stand corrected that it should be under 0.05ohms.

thanks again Bro.

You can check the milli ohms per metre resistance for the relevant cable or individual conductor from the on site guide... times this by the length of the circuit and divide by 1000, your reading should be comparable. I also have no idea where your figure of 0.07 comes from! Otherwise your explanation of the test sounded spot on!

thanks a lot for your reply Matt, GN3 ? where should i get it ? BTW the 0.07ohms was bit high and yea i will really stand corrected that it should be under 0.05ohms. thanks again Bro.
0.05 is just relevant to bonding conductors not cpc's!!

Hi sparks39

A R1+R2 reading will be what it will be, there is no minimum value for it, it will depend on the length of the circuit and the size of the conductors.

What would you expect to be the difference in reading for a long circuit compared with a short one of the same size conductors?

(No help please from others this should help39 to see the idea)

Hi, obviously the longer the circuit the higher the resistance value, providing there is no increase in the csa!

Hi, obviously the longer the circuit the higher the resistance value, providing there is no increase in the csa!
Sorry if that annoyed you but sometimes its difficult to judge level of understanding, so i am sure you can see that a very short circuit could have R1+R2 reading of 0.01 ohms and another circuit could be 10 ohms.

Both could be ok as their is no min value unlike an IR test. What is the minimum reading acceptable for that according to BS7671 2008? :)

You crack me up sparkytim lol is that an open question to anymore or are you still doing initiation test (if thats what its called) ROTFWLlol

You crack me up sparkytim lol is that an open question to anymore or are you still doing initiation test (if thats what its called) ROTFWLlol
Glad you are enjoying it

Give some one a fish and you feed him for the day, teach him to fish and he can feed himself for ever.

Thanks a lot all for your ideas and some info , but , is there anyone around who can give me some tip on dead testing. ( radial and lighting circuit )

thanks , have a nice evening all

Thanks a lot all for your ideas and some info , but , is there anyone around who can give me some tip on dead testing. ( radial and lighting circuit )thanks , have a nice evening all
Have a look at this youtube channel, theres a few different testing videos.

I find it easier to understand when seeing someone actually doing it for real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GRLM6sgDXM&feature=related