2330 L2 Practical

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc

Reaction score
Got my L2 practical coming up soon. I've only really got domestic experience, so haven't used conduit etc that much (at all really). I've had a look at the pics of the completed exam (thanks WelshWizard), and there appears to be a fair bit of bent conduit involved. How easy/quick is it to learn how to do this, or can I just use inspection bends?

Thanks!

have you not done any at collage in the work bays to build up to the exam ?

You cant use inspection bends - your expected to bend the conduit to fit.

If youve never worked with the stuff before, good luck. you will need it. if you do mess up, you can usually put a coupler in to make it fit

like andy.c says you have to bend it to fit and they only give you just over the right amount.

done it last year and a lot of the lads strugeled how had missed the classes.

good luck.

There are various videos on youtube but I'm afraid you're gonna struggle unless you get a bit of practice somewhere...

if this helps add 30mm on for bends and add 15mm on for fixing for the back boxes & light fittings to sizes that you on the paper for the exam.

i think that`s about write if not some body will but it write.

good luck.

Isn't it 20mm added on to allow for the bend in 20mm steel conduit? Can't remember 100%.

Get yourself a nice set square. Can't go far wrong then. :)

Thanks for all the advice :) .

The exam is over April 7th/8th/9th, though I haven't confirmed whether I'll be sitting it yet.

I'm thinking I should delay it until I've got my hands on some conduit and practiced a fair bit?

Thanks.

Thanks for all the advice :) .The exam is over April 7th/8th/9th, though I haven't confirmed whether I'll be sitting it yet.

I'm thinking I should delay it until I've got my hands on some conduit and practiced a fair bit?

Thanks.
you probably dont need loads of practice, just enough to be able to do the bends etc that you need. no point spending time learning stuff you wont use.

got my practical exam on the 26th of may, need to brush up on my armored glanding and plastic conduit before then. Surprised my college decided to omit steel conduit from the exam all together after we spent so may weeks on it, suppose that could change tho.

The real skill with the conduit is getting it back perfectly straight for the next candidate .........................

:coat

Bit of an update:

Been in touch with the tutor, there's only plastic conduit to be bent, and even then it's only a short piece (CU is mounted 1255mm up, conduit is to a bulkhead on the ceiling). I've been told they'll give me a few pieces to practice on, so that's looking good. :D

Have to mount a cooker panel w/socket outlet on ply surface (clipped direct), 2 x 13a plastic surface mounted boxes in a ring, in mini trunking, dropped in behind the ply stud wall 'where appropriate'. Bulkhead to be controlled by 'two gang and intermediate switching' (2 gang? think it means 2 way, says that on the diagram anyway). Again clipped direct, mini trunking to be used 'in accordance with the diagram' (intermediate to be mounted on plasterboard).

All in all it looks easy enough, have one or two questions though. MEB on the diagram shows one earth cable from CU, via gas to water. Would I be right in thinking that one cable will suffice, or is it deemed good practice to do it seperately?

Also, I know ir probably differs from college to college, but is 2-core or 3-core SWA usually used?

Thanks,

Marc.

Marc on the bonding if you use 1 cable it must not be cut. You loop it round first clamp and then second clamp has a lug on end of cable. Thats how we did it a college a while back.

Batty

Bit of an update:Bulkhead to be controlled by 'two gang and intermediate switching' (2 gang? think it means 2 way, says that on the diagram anyway).

All in all it looks easy enough, have one or two questions though. MEB on the diagram shows one earth cable from CU, via gas to water. Would I be right in thinking that one cable will suffice, or is it deemed good practice to do it seperately?

Also, I know ir probably differs from college to college, but is 2-core or 3-core SWA usually used?

Thanks,

Marc.
probably should read '2 way & intermediate', but one of the switches may be 2 gang (to control another light?)

for using same cable to gas & water, normally done to what suits layout best. If you pass one to get to the other, use same cable. if opposite directions, one to each.

just remember not to cut the earth (must be unbroken)

for 2 or 3 core, probably what the college orders. sometimes 2 core, sometimes 3core. doesnt really matter which

The real skill with the conduit is getting it back perfectly straight for the next candidate ......................... :coat
Now that would be an exam and half Applaud Smiley

A bloke I used to work with did all his dogleg bends from rack of eye and was always spot on! I used to measure and still get it wrong.