2391 pass mark?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmacca81

Reaction score
Hi, just wondered if anyone knows what the pass mark is for 2391? (the actual pass mark not the pass rate) i managed to pass the practical first time but struggled with the theory exam. Also how long does it take to get the results back?

Hi mate,

This is taken from the C&G 2391-10 FAQ page:

What is the pass mark for 2391-301?

City & Guilds does not publish a pass mark for this examination because it is not a fixed mark and may vary from series to series depending on many factors such as the difficulty of the paper.

I think it's 43 working days for results.

Hope that helps:)

Hi, just wondered if anyone knows what the pass mark is for 2391? (the actual pass mark not the pass rate) i managed to pass the practical first time but struggled with the theory exam. Also how long does it take to get the results back?
When I did mine about 5 years ago I was told there is no set mark for passing the theory test, they sit down and look at answer papers after the exam, then work out a pass mark, thats why there is normally only 50% pass rate

Pass mark is not fixed. It varies depending on the difficulty of the paper and on how other candidates performed.

Don't think that this is unusual or wrong - it's quite common e.g. with A-levels or university exams etc. Floating pass marks are the norm for written exams.

You may be correct revjames, but C&G's guidance is that it is a floating pass mark. Obviously I can't say for certain one way or another.

Although it certainly would make sense for it to float to compensate for the difficulty of the paper.

I was categorically told by the instructor (who incidentally sets papers for the C&G) that the pass mark was 90/150
Seems a bit low to me - 60% - considering the national pass rate is so low.

Also, that means you only have to know 60% of the content to pass and be deemed qualified to inspect and test installations.

I would have thought the pass mark would be around 75 - 80 % - which would explain the low pass rate and difficulty of the exam.

When I took mine there were 12 time-served sparks in the class.

16 of us took the exam (4 re-sits + us)

How many passed -

Thanks for the reply's. its so frustrating not knowing if you have passed or not, think i will keep up the revision just incase! not being from an electrical backround its been extremly hard to revise so many different topics from basic terminology to earth fault loop paths, earth electrode calculations ect. i found that every time i would sit down and complete a past paper, there would be atleast 5 new topics i would have to learn and memorise. Some of the questions do seem way over the top. Experience before sitting the exam would of been ideal, as some of these questions expecially in section B require thinking 'outside of the box' (you just wouldn't find in a book).

Fingers crossed, i hope i don't have to go through all that again!!

Seems a bit low to me - 60% - considering the national pass rate is so low.Also, that means you only have to know 60% of the content to pass and be deemed qualified to inspect and test installations.

I would have thought the pass mark would be around 75 - 80 % - which would explain the low pass rate and difficulty of the exam.
As an aside, 'professional' exams for doctors/dentists/vets have a standard pass mark of 50%.

So the brain surgeon only needs to know half what he was asked in an exam!

:eek:

As an aside, 'professional' exams for doctors/dentists/vets have a standard pass mark of 50%.So the brain surgeon only needs to know half what he was asked in an exam!

40% was a pass at university a few years ago (presume it still is). That said, it mightn't be much use to you just scraping through like that!

When I took mine there were 12 time-served sparks in the class.

16 of us took the exam (4 re-sits + us)

How many passed -

Similar - there were 12 on my course, including 5 re-sits (3 of those for the THIRD time!!!)

Six of them came in the night I did my practical, to stand around and watch; as they weren`t certain of the proceedure.

Only 8 of the 12 actually turned up for the theory - the other 4 dropped out.

ONE of the resits passed, & myself & ONE other.

TBH, I didn`t see the problem with the exam - as long as you know what you`re doing (which many don`t, IMO)

KME

As an aside, 'professional' exams for doctors/dentists/vets have a standard pass mark of 50%.So the brain surgeon only needs to know half what he was asked in an exam!

That's quite a scary thought:O

Isn`t it just. No wonder so many "professional" people on quizzes such as "Weakest Link" seem so thick!

I`d have expected their pass rate to be between 85%-90% - not "arf & arf!"

When I took my 2391 last year my tutor told only 60% pass each year which led him to believe that they the pass mark must vary from exam to exam depending on the overall average score.