2Gang Light Switch (Mind Boggling Fault)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Merry

Reaction score
Hello sparks

I'm a Sparky from Leicester, I have been called to wire up a light on a 2g switch already installed that the owner of the property has done most of the work.

Well he has pulled a twin and earth from the light switch straight to the new light fitting and he called me saying its not working, well I got there and found no neutral.

So I have grabbed a neutral from a junction box in the attic on the same lighting circuit.

Left switch = existing light

Right switch = new light

I connected up and switched on the left switch, the existing light comes on and the new light switches off.

Right switch doesn't work when the left switch is on.

Switch the left switch off then the right switch works fine on and off.

Strange!!!!

PS when the left switch is on and the right switch doesn't work, the voltage disappears all lives tested to earth are 0v.

I have checked/belled the switch and that seems fine.

Any advice would be amazing.

Thanks

How many cables in switch?youre picking up the live via the switch live of other switch (left )?

Where have you picked the perm feed up from?

Last edited by a moderator:
:worthless:
pink-high-heels_5.jpg

Hi

Thanks

At the switch on the left is a perm feed and a switch wire I've just linked the perm feed over to supply the right 2g.

So its wired in a perfect 2g switch effect-

Left switch-

C-feed

L1-switch wire up to existing light

Link the C to C on the two switches

Right switch

C - feed

L1 - switch wire to new light

The neutral I've dragged in for the circuit I've changed it twice now, once from the same lighting circuit and second from a JB on the socket circuit. Haha I was thinking surely its just a neutral.

My head is hurting something so simple has turned out to be a nightmare

Hi

Thanks

At the switch on the left is a perm feed and a switch wire I've just linked the perm feed over to supply the right 2g.

So its wired in a perfect 2g switch effect-

Left switch-

C-feed

L1-switch wire up to existing light

Link the C to C on the two switches

Right switch

C - feed

L1 - switch wire to new light

The neutral I've dragged in for the circuit I've changed it twice now, once from the same lighting circuit and second from a JB on the socket circuit. Haha I was thinking surely its just a neutral.

My head is hurting something so simple has turned out to be a nightmare
your perm live at the switch... is it still live if you take the lamps out of the fitting it switches?

I've not tried that Andy.

What would that mean mate?

The new light is energy efficient

Old lights are GU10s

I don' pay much attention to the switch markings on a one gang one way switch to be honest as it makes no electrical difference!

Hello sparks

I'm a Sparky from Leicester, I have been called to wire up a light on a 2g switch already installed that the owner of the property has done most of the work.

Well he has pulled a twin and earth from the light switch straight to the new light fitting and he called me saying its not working, well I got there and found no neutral.

From the opening comments highlighted, immediately it tells me that the first steps are..

1/ Assume Nothing That You Haven't Proved Yourself..

2/ Test Everything So That You Can Meet Point #1 Above!

Sounds like you have dropped a clanger at the first two steps.....

Go back to basics...

It is a Light + Switch...

It can never be too complicated to test the circuit if you start at the beginning and work your way through the circuit..

If you need help they normaly go as follows...

1) Supply (Live at MCB/Fuse/FCU etc..)

2) Cable to switch

3) Switch 'In'

4) Switch 'Out'

5) Cable to Load (Light)

6) Light 'In'

7) Light 'Out'

8) Cable back to supply (Neutral at Consumer unit / FCU etc..)

Simples!

I cannot figure out how any competent electrician cannot follow and test a light & switch....

DIY homeowner yes..

But Trained & qualified electrician NO!!!

:coat

Guinness