3 phase testing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

searley

Reaction score
i am doing my 2391 practicle shortley and never done 3 phase testing before. can any one tell me the write way of testing 3 phase from start to finish.ie l1 to l2 l1 to l3 and so on just to make sure i have got it write.cheers men !!!!

With you tester you put the l1 lead on l1 l2 on l2 and l3 on l3 if it wired corrcetly it wil be correct on display. I have a di-log 9073 for phase testing which goes in right sequence if I remember correctly. Best bet is to read instructions for tester. I don't think I have helped much here.

From start to finish?

Thats a lot of testing.

Its not really complicated, just because you have three "lives".

Try to think as each phase as a seperate line in, and then multiply your testing by 3.

The main problem with 3 phase is to get a good balance, so each phase in an ideal world will draw the same amps.

With you tester you put the l1 lead on l1 l2 on l2 and l3 on l3 if it wired corrcetly it wil be correct on display. I have a di-log 9073 for phase testing which goes in right sequence if I remember correctly. Best bet is to read instructions for tester. I don't think I have helped much here.
you also need to check phase sequence (612.12), not just rotation

The main problem with 3 phase is to get a good balance, so each phase in an ideal world will draw the same amps.
As per Tuesday`s job (and Weds, Thu & prob. Fri.......)

Public house, with rented flat above. Huge commercial kitchen. 3Ph, 4 wire, 60A/phase incomer. All dist boards SP, from henley blocks, in tails ranging from 25mm to 6mm:_|

No means of isolating whole installation.

I`m removing 5 scabarous old 3036 boards, and replacing with a 12 way, TPN. 12 other SP boards scattered around the premises. Not one RCD to be found, anywhere.

When I went to assess, they`d recently had the L1 service fuse replaced.

I did two load measurements, 1 hour apart:

1st test: L1-56A L2-6.8A L3-27A

2nd test: L1-79A L2-7.3A L3-41A

Think it may be a little unbalanced. Told the owner that balancing the supplies will pay for itself in electric within 6 months or so (currently paying