A Christmas puzzle

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Right then! Spent a whole Christmas mealtime pondering this, (though that did not in any way detract from enjoyment of the meal)

Just how does it work?  It's two glass tumblers, one inside the other, with the inner one is apparently a completely standard wax candle.

The space between the two glasses is filled with some kind of clear jell, and within the jell is a series of mini leds.

When the candle flame is lit, the leds light, - immediately.  

I can see no battery, or for that matter any other voltage source.  The led's go out instantly when the candle is snubbed.

Candle.JPG

Never seen one of those before  Geoff  .  I'm thinking  ,  create heat from candle,  heat causes a reaction within that gell , whatever it is , a voltage flows  ,  LEDs illuminate.

Just guessing .   Its ingenious .   

Maybe.

The leds light virtually instantly on lighting the candle with no apparent "warm up" time.

Similarly they extinguish immediately. Hence my guess is that's it's radiated heat rather than conducted. 

I WILL work it out. They're only from Marks and Sparks btw. There must be lots of them around.

A  Leclanche Cell is formed between the two jars ,  LEDs are encapsulated within the outer zinc  based gell  ,  the inner is erm.. that other stuff  , and when you light the wick it becomes carbonized  ,  1.5 Volts then flows .      Possibly  , maybe .  

A  Leclanche Cell is formed between the two jars ,  LEDs are encapsulated within the outer zinc  based gell  ,  the inner is erm.. that other stuff  , and when you light the wick it becomes carbonized  ,  1.5 Volts then flows .      Possibly  , maybe .  
Oh, that's an ingenious idea which hadn't occurred to me. As you say , maybe

I'm fairly sure they are LEDs rather than fibre optic. 

I'm actually inclined to the concealed battery theory at the moment, but there must also be a photocell switch (?). It doesn't light up if I shine a torch on it.

This " integrity " you speak of .....  what is THAT  ?....  would it be what politicians have  or something ?? 

I was totally thrown when the 17th came in  with some  consumer units ...I actually phoned the wholesaler to say  " What the hell are these "High integrity "  consumers  ?   Do they NOT tell lies ...or are they very faithful  ...what the hell is that all about . ?

Theres something about this trade where they just love to throw in a new phrase   or change the Earth wires to  CCPs  or  ECCs  etc.  to keep us on our toes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres something about this trade where they just love to throw in a new phrase   or change the Earth wires to  CCPs  or  ECCs  etc.  to keep us on our toes. 

No, it's not just the electrical industry!  Bull -Sh1t  abounds everywhere. 

Schools now have to be academies,

Speed cameras are safety cameras,

Every mechanic who's worked out which end of a screwdriver is which is an engineer,

Apparently, as of today, a civil marriage may now be a civil partnership instead, though I'm damned if I can understand the difference.

BUT the BS which winds me up most is that emanating from the political correctness lobby who defy the english language; and want to ban words like "mankind".

By the way, - Happy new year

Last edited by a moderator: