Advice about CCTV DVR/NVR

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neon

Reaction score
Good evening everyone,

I have a CCTV system which I've had for a few years now, the make of the cameras I cannot remember off the top of my head, I just know that they are IP cameras and 4MP.
Now the way the system currently operated is that cameras all plug into the CVR with ethernet cabled and the power is supplied PoE.
The actual DVR box is H.View, not that I think this makes a huge amount of difference.

Now my issue is thus. The DVR is of an older era and the only way to access it used to be using Internet Explorer, as it requires an ActiveX plug-in.
As IE has now gone the way of the dinosaur, I am totally unable to access my DVR using my computers, the only way is for me to run a long HDMI cable and mouse, then plug it in to a monitor in the front room, which of course is beyond inconvenient.

Obviously I require a new DVR which provides PoE. An NVR is also an option, however I prefer to the CC part of CCTV, so closed circuit and not just broadcasting across the entire network.
So, I am looking for recommendations for a new DVR. My current one is a 4 channel , which is absolutely fine as I only have 3 cameras at the moment, although I do plan to connect a 4th eventually. As I've already said it needs to provide PoE. HDD capacity doesn't matter, one without a HDD would be ideal, as I'll just move the 4TB one I have in the current system over.

Naturally it needs to be nicely up to date so that is will work in FireFox (my primary browser), Chroms, Edge and all others.
I'd very much like it to have H265 compression so I can fit more footage on, as my last one did a maximum of H264.
Although I like the "closed circuit" part of the system as I have said, I'd also very much appreciate one which can be accessed remotely via a phone app, so I can check on things if needs be.

I hope this is enough information for people to provide me with some suggestions. I recently had to tell the police I couln't give them the footage they wanteed about an incident which happened outside my home. CCTV isn't very useful when you can't view it without jumping through 200 hoops! Lol.

So yes, please throw some suggestions my way. Price isn't a huge factor, but I'm no looking to spend a fortune considering I'm only after a DVR shell (I'm aware I may have to buy one with some form of HDD and then swap it out, but an empty one would be the most ideal).

I have had a bit of a look around myself, but I just don't want to be ordering the wrong thing, as CCTV isn't my speciality.

Should anymore details be required just let me know, otherwise start flinging those suggestions at me.

Thanks for your help everyone! 😄

Locked to prevent being resurrected (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.