Advice On Becoming Fully Qualified

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DragonDream

Reaction score
Hi there,

I hope I'm posting this in the right section.

I would very much appreciate some help on the matter of becoming a fully qualified electrician. My current situation is as follows.

- I have gained a BTEC Adv. Diploma Level 3 in Electrical Installation.

- I have a couple months work experience on the Electrical Team of a volunteer construction project (a large assembly hall seating 600 with some state-of-the-art equipment).

- I am limited as to how many hours I can work a week.

- I also live in Scotland, where, to my understanding, some laws differ from the rest of the UK regarding electrical qualification.

Q1: I have read a lot about the 2330 previously qualifying for the technical certificate in the apprenticeship route? Is that still the case, and will my BTEC (which I have read is the equivalent of the 2330 and has qualified for the technical certificate in some cases) reap the same result?

Q2: If I can in some way gain the technical certificate, will that potentially reduce the days per week needed if I found work as an apprentice?

Q3: And is there another route to becoming a fully qualified electrician, with the certificates and training I already have?

Thanks so much for your help.

The only thing that differs with Scotland is there is no Part P here, so that's one course you don't have to do.

And because of that, there's arguably no need to belong to a organisation like NICEIC etc if you don't want to, so no annual assessments to worry about.

Last edited by a moderator:
- I have a couple months work experience on the Electrical Team of a volunteer construction project (a large assembly hall seating 600 with some state-of-the-art equipment).

- I am limited as to how many hours I can work a week.
Hi

Pioneer by any chance?

PM me if so

I am in Suffolk cct and have worked with RBC 1A

Tim

In answer to your questions yes there are a variety of  routes to become qualified

the NIC has just published an explanation of the requirements needed to qualify for QS status which now requires  NVQ Level 3

Last edited by a moderator:
A number of conversations with various individuals, including two phone calls with someone from the SECTT, has led to believe that here in Scotland the only way to become (and it has been emphasized enough) fully qualified is by doing an Approved Apprenticeship. Yet, is this the only way here in Scotland? And how would, for instance, an English electrician remain qualified if he were to move to Scotland?