Another costing query

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

netblindpaul

Reaction score
Hi,

I've put a price together for a commercial rewire following a fire incident.

One section of the building completely gutted, it has affected the wiring in the other w/shop, the complete upstairs lighting in the offices, db's damaged etc. etc.

2 workshops, 2 stores areas, 3 toilets, canteen area, 2 enclosed corridors, 2 large offices split up into 3 rooms, 2 segregated offices inside two of those, offices are gorund and 1st, currently integrated off 1 CU, some wiring damaged some not, EM lights throught, new board, new sub main to one of the workshop areas, workshops have 3ph power 1ph power, sockets & fixed, some adj to doors, distributed 110v power, lighting throught, workshop wall mounted and high level interior, high level outside lights, will be CDM job, have been told must comply with all current legislation incl building regs. that the work and working obviously all must be fully compliant with all legislation, the surveyor assessing the damage has requested that all items that may have been damaged by smoke, water, fire water etc. are considered.

Need to keep away from RCD's as much as possible because its ind/comm, & surface, so just using RCD s.o. where required.

They seem to think that it is going to cost labour and materials, completed half of the actual materials only cost!

They want full documentation for full CDM conditions, for buildings file, there has to be 3 3ph db's 3 1 ph db's, 3 new sub mains 1 @ 3ph, 3 @ 1ph.

Can't get my head around this!

No spec really given, just redo it!

Has anyone else ever been in this situation?

headbang

By the time you've messed about with part damaged stuff it's probably chaeper to buy new.

Think I would be inclined to quote for full replacement / re-wire, keep costs reasonable (ie avoid temptation to over price for insurance) and you should get the job. But be very careful about payment terms - negotiate materials up front if possible, plus some labour, and make it clear its a reasonable price only if they pay within a week/ month or whatever suits you.(get it in writing of course)

I've done work for insurance repairs before and they seem to like to spend money repairing sections of stuff rather than replacing the lot for half the price. Doesn;t make sense but it has to be right on paper as they won;t pay for non damaged stuff, even if it would be cheaper.