Anybody else do this?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

springcrocus

Reaction score
A thread started by jpjpjpjpjpjpjp - is that enough jp's - concerning marking of sockets etc got me thinking after Sidey said "unless it's domestic".

In a domestic rewire, or partial rewire, I always mark cables with certain information at strategic points both to help me keep track of my own cables and those existing ones that I have identified. A few examples include in the void above a ceiling rose, I always mark cables L>, >L, & Sw. Where ring finals run alongside immersion heater cables or NSH's I mark Ring, Imm, NSH etc. Sometimes Strap or Str for two-way lighting.

The upstairs landing is invariably a birds nest of cables and I find marking them useful and, hopefully, will help me or the next spark when it comes to making future alterations.

So, does anybody else do this or is it just my little quirk?

Unless I feel there is a need I don't bother marking cables other than lighting

Lighting circuits I mark, with my snips, at ceiling rose and switch points with an X for supply in/out and / for switch wires

I changed after marking in pen, only for plasterer to wipe all markings off the cable more often than not come 2nd fix:mad:

It's a nice thing to do, but if you re-wire property properly you are unlikely to need markings for decades, so I don't do this anymore unless it's likely to help me like afor switch lines / feeds.

I don't do that but I think it's a very good thing to do if you have the time. One thing I do do, I will often write on floorboard traps "JB" if I have done one underneath or if the lighting is wired using the old 'spider' method and previous sparks have not identified the JB.

I do what Revved up sparky does by marking the traps with JB's below, also mark lighting drops to switches but dont bother with anything else.

I mark up cables on tray or basket every couple of metres or so, or at access panels it helps when doing remedial work or alterations to the installation.

I write on cables at first fix with a permanent marker so I know what's what at second fix. The permanent marker usually survives the plasterers attempt at obliterating it.

On house bashing and not using twin Brown I mark sw drops with a nick and obvious potential mix-ups at the C/U like cooker and shower, Lights up , lights down. Always mark the floor with a felt tip to show where to nail the pipes !!!! :innocent

Multi gang switches 4g, 6g etc I also mark all cables in there . Still see guys now poking wires in and seeing what comes on and generally pr@tting about for ages because he's got 8 or 9 twins with no markings .

Industrially its usually colours and number banding .

Last edited by a moderator:
knicks on switch drop, perm marker on several gang switches/grids, perm marker on CU ends, perm marker on WAGO boxes if needed

only really mark lighting cable before 2nd fix.

knick / sw drops / cross cut L in L out / and a crease with pliers for any loops .

No marks are left when I am finished.

only really mark lighting cable before 2nd fix.knick / sw drops / cross cut L in L out / and a crease with pliers for any loops .

No marks are left when I am finished.
cos any proper spark will be able to work it out in minutes what does what.

Im very similar.

I marked wires at switches with main in, main out so if there are any issues when it comes to testing it can make life a bit easier.

It's a nice thing to do, but if you re-wire property properly you are unlikely to need markings for decades, so I don't do this anymore unless it's likely to help me like afor switch lines / feeds.
As binky says, within a domestic environment, unless you know the client has some other building extension work due within the next 18 - 24 months, then correctly designed and wired circuits will not need disturbing for a long time as sufficient outlets, fittings & accessories should have been installed. However industrial and commercial environments can have frequent changes of functions & power requirements as business practices change with the economy & management restructures.

Doc H.

X's and /'s for me

Anything more than a simple loop in loop out light or switch and it gets marked with my perm marker. Simples.

Theres the school boy error of cutting your cables to length before remarking them! I did this once as an apprentice with about 40 data cables, I neatly dressed them in their boxes while the gaffer was on the phone, being all proud of myself for using my initiative until he came back and promptly started bollocking me.