Are these batten lights useless?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy1733

Reaction score
There's a local eBay listing selling a wholesale lot of batten lights. 5ft and 6ft. 62 in total. Various brands. I was wondering if they are able to accept led tubes?

List below

Fitzgerald pdp158/hf/x 1x 58w non corro 5ft x16
Fitzgerald pdp270/hf/x 2x 70w non corro 6ft x2
Fitzgerald pdp258/hf/x 2x 58w non corro 5ft x4
Fitzgerald pdp236/hf/x 2x 36w non corro 4ft x4
Fitzgerald pdp170/hf/x 1x 70w non corro 6ft x5
Fitzgerald dp158/hf/ss/x 1x58w non corro 5ft x4
Fitzgerald lptf236/40/x/ns/nc 4ft 2x 36w x5
Fitzgerald lptf258/hf/840/m3 5ft 2x 58w x 1
Fitzgerald lp136/hf/840 36w 4ft single x2
Eterna wpf158em3 1x 58w em non corrosive x3
Eterna wpf258 2x 58w non corrosive x1
Tegral t4sled/66 4ft single led ready x4
Powerbeam wf70b-1 1x70w non corrosive 6ft x9
Ansell adp270/hf/m3 2x 70w 6ft em non cr x4
Ansell ADP/270hf 2x70w 6ft x5
Ansell 1x58 5ft IP x1
Powerbeam 1x 58 ip 5ft x1
Powerbeam 2x 70 IP 6ft x1

they will take an LED tube, you just need to alter the internal wiring

older ballast type you can just change the starter but thats a lazy and inefficient way to do it

There's a local eBay listing selling a wholesale lot of batten lights. 5ft and 6ft. 62 in total. Various brands. I was wondering if they are able to accept led tubes?

List below

Fitzgerald pdp158/hf/x 1x 58w non corro 5ft x16
Fitzgerald pdp270/hf/x 2x 70w non corro 6ft x2
Fitzgerald pdp258/hf/x 2x 58w non corro 5ft x4
Fitzgerald pdp236/hf/x 2x 36w non corro 4ft x4
Fitzgerald pdp170/hf/x 1x 70w non corro 6ft x5
Fitzgerald dp158/hf/ss/x 1x58w non corro 5ft x4
Fitzgerald lptf236/40/x/ns/nc 4ft 2x 36w x5
Fitzgerald lptf258/hf/840/m3 5ft 2x 58w x 1
Fitzgerald lp136/hf/840 36w 4ft single x2
Eterna wpf158em3 1x 58w em non corrosive x3
Eterna wpf258 2x 58w non corrosive x1
Tegral t4sled/66 4ft single led ready x4
Powerbeam wf70b-1 1x70w non corrosive 6ft x9
Ansell adp270/hf/m3 2x 70w 6ft em non cr x4
Ansell ADP/270hf 2x70w 6ft x5
Ansell 1x58 5ft IP x1
Powerbeam 1x 58 ip 5ft x1
Powerbeam 2x 70 IP 6ft x1
Often the LED 'tubes' cost more than the equivalent LED batten.

Most of the Batten's come with fluorescence tubes. I've just changed all my original lights in my garage for led batten lighting. I just wondered if they were worth getting. It's a auction No bids. £50 ATM

Most of the Batten's come with fluorescence tubes. I've just changed all my original lights in my garage for led batten lighting. I just wondered if they were worth getting. It's a auction No bids. £50 ATM
Understood but then to convert them to LED in my experience will cost more than buying LED battens in the first place.

Understood but then to convert them to LED in my experience will cost more than buying LED battens in the first place.
Depends where you shop. I use 'expensive' 5ft tubes at around £15, you can get led tubes for less than a tenner. But the main savings is labour, it's a lot more work to replace an entire fitting than convert to an led tube.

Depends where you shop. I use 'expensive' 5ft tubes at around £15, you can get led tubes for less than a tenner. But the main savings is labour, it's a lot more work to replace an entire fitting than convert to an led tube.
Of course BUT considering buying flourescent fittings and then fitting LED tubes to them in my simple mid doesnt make economic sense and at the end of it all it's a compromise compared to a proper LED batten.

Of course BUT considering buying flourescent fittings and then fitting LED tubes to them in my simple mid doesnt make economic sense and at the end of it all it's a compromise compared to a proper LED batten.
AHH, that's what you meant. Depends how much you pay for the Florrie fitting. Fitzgerald used to do led ready fittings for about £12+ Vat. They came ready wired for led tubes, no ballasts or anything else fitted. Rather liked those, but don't see them around very much. I like the idea that when the tube dies you just change it for a new one. Whereas led battens, you have to change the entire fitting.

AHH, that's what you meant. Depends how much you pay for the Florrie fitting. Fitzgerald used to do led ready fittings for about £12+ Vat. They came ready wired for led tubes, no ballasts or anything else fitted. Rather liked those, but don't see them around very much. I like the idea that when the tube dies you just change it for a new one. Whereas led battens, you have to change the entire fitting.
Good point, well raised m'lud.

Decent quality LED's do tend to be reliable though.

Good point, well raised m'lud.

Decent quality LED's do tend to be reliable though.
They all fail eventually - goes against my green sensibilities to throw away a perfectly good fitting because the led driver has failed. That's part of the reason I like to convert existing fittings to led tubes, provided they are still in good order. It also saves having to dispose of the fitting itself, which isn't always so easy these days.

LED tubes for existing florescent battens give less light than the tubes they replace. So you will need more of them. Not to mention the high cost of LED tubes.

I've just paid over £500 for led battens for my garage and workshop think they are about 50w doubles. Made a big difference over my old fittings. Which were 76w fluorescent.
I know the ones I've listed are a bit industrial looking being ip65 though perfect for a workshop garage setup.
I was going to buy a couple of batten for my loft. The battens I've got in there are about 30 year old and the bulbs are very pink until they warm up.
Tbh I can't even remember changing the bulbs in them

Thank fek I'm not in the trade then Binky. I'm with your Mrs. In Our house they are bulbs or tubes. Lamps are what Florence nightingale carried

Latest posts