Auto electrical problem - DRL LEDs on CanBus Zafira

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliffhanger

Reaction score
Hi, New Bloke here1

Just tearing my hair out trying to complete the installation of a set of LED DRLs on my Zafira B 2008. Due to the CanBus it's difficult to get a suitable ign switched feed to power them, but I got around this by using an unused fuse in the engine bay fuse box (No 31 if anyone's interested). So the LEDs switch on with ign no problem and no warning lights or flickering.

Now my problem is getting a 12v feed from the vehicle side/headlights to turn the LEDs off when the vehicle lights switch on. I've been all over the connector plug to the near side cluster but all 8 pins seem to register the same state whether the lights are on or off - four are live and four are zero volts.

Any ideas please??

Thanks,

Iain

That's good news then, cos that's how I'll be running until I can find somewhere to get a 12v "lights are on" signal from :)

providing they dont dazzle oncoming traffic, then there is no law to say they must be switched off at night (go try them, i dont know what DRLs you have so no idea who bright they are at night)

other alternative is just leave the headlights on (fit some HID's?)

or just put loads more LED side lights on the front

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking of going back to the light switch and try my luck there. But will need to find a route through the bulkhead of course.

I hope that DRL's are not illegal.

My 12 plate Transit had DRL's and I can't turn them off, it came with them already set.

As soon as the ignition is turned on they come on, end of!

I hope that DRL's are not illegal.My 12 plate Transit had DRL's and I can't turn them off, it came with them already set.

As soon as the ignition is turned on they come on, end of!
DRL was a legal requirement for all cars from start of last year, vans this year and iirc, HGV's next year. and there are supposed to be on whenever the engine is, which is why you cant turn the off (and nothing wrong with lots of lights on the front)

We use canbus interfaces from his lot on some of our vehicles What is a CAN Bus Interface System? you could use the towbar interface to give a live switch when lights are put on & that could drop a relay to inhibit the DRL's or the speed pulse interface may have a light output, either way you'll probably need to pass via a relay to inhibit the DRL's

I have an old canbus interface on my desk at work, not sure what the make up of it was or what vehicles it was for, but if it fits the bill I shall let you know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you - that's helpful! Ideally I'd like to pick up something under the bonnet for ease of wiring, but any port in a storm eh?