AutoCad Electrical 2012

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah that's what made me think when I thought it was big bucks! As you say it's a pretty full on program I'd only be using it to edit the latest revised DWG drawings for as fitted's but can't find an alternative program.

It's a version of autocad aim at controls engineers. I use it at work and it takes training to even do the basics eg plot scale cross ref. Try amtech pro design or caddy ++

Autocad elec genuine will cost +

Just to add that I have just downloaded and run DraftSight in a Windows 7 32-bit laptop. I'm opening AutoCAD 2010 drawings and modding them no problems within seconds of starting to use the program. Very simple and intuitive...........

Thanks very much for all your replies, plenty for me to look into there. Much appreciated!

It's NOT the FULL AutoCAD drawing program at all which is as you say mega bucks. Just a suite more specific to the controls side of things I think. TBH then any cheapo cad program should do you if you just want to do say plans and the odd elevation for as builts or to plan things out. I use full version AutoCAD then just draw up individual components as "blocks" which I save. Can then use them in future drawings. Let's be honest for drawing a few walls and fittings it's only lines and circles! Just an example:

kit_1.jpg

TurboCAD is a good, cheap and well known alternative to AutoCAD which really is "The Daddy". Also check out LibreCAD which is FREE (and there's a Linux version):

Features

Worth a download just to have a play to see how you get on.

To alter existing DWGs check out DraftSight - again free:

DraftSight FREE 2D CAD software download - create, edit, and view AutoCAD DWG files
I wish I could do this, tried and failed, takes hours headbang

It's NOT the FULL AutoCAD drawing program at all which is as you say mega bucks. Just a suite more specific to the controls side of things I think. TBH then any cheapo cad program should do you if you just want to do say plans and the odd elevation for as builts or to plan things out. I use full version AutoCAD then just draw up individual components as "blocks" which I save. Can then use them in future drawings. Let's be honest for drawing a few walls and fittings it's only lines and circles! Just an example:

kit_1.jpg

TurboCAD is a good, cheap and well known alternative to AutoCAD which really is "The Daddy". Also check out LibreCAD which is FREE (and there's a Linux version):

Features

Worth a download just to have a play to see how you get on.

To alter existing DWGs check out DraftSight - again free:

DraftSight FREE 2D CAD software download - create, edit, and view AutoCAD DWG files
I use LibreCAD :)

and another couple of progs for schematics etc.

I wish I could do this, tried and failed, takes hours headbang
Which one were you after? My internet is the SLOWEST but had no issues.............I can always download, burn to a disc and post to you if you wanted?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 19:06 ---------- Previous post was made at 18:33 ----------

Actually the DraftSight self extracting file is about 90MB.....too big to email by "normal" means but I could send it to you via the "Pando" utility if you want?

Just to add that I have just downloaded and run DraftSight in a Windows 7 32-bit laptop. I'm opening AutoCAD 2010 drawings and modding them no problems within seconds of starting to use the program. Very simple and intuitive...........
Onoff, thanks for the offer, I have the program, its just getting to know how to use it and end up with a basic plan like you have shown.

The trouble is I only ever try and use it when I need it, then it all goes t*t's up and I end up doing it by hand.

Its a bit like Photoshop I can do basics then I'm lost and it takes hours to achieve what ends up being simple.

Onoff, thanks for the offer, I have the program, its just getting to know how to use it and end up with a basic plan like you have shown.The trouble is I only ever try and use it when I need it, then it all goes t*t's up and I end up doing it by hand.

Its a bit like Photoshop I can do basics then I'm lost and it takes hours to achieve what ends up being simple.
I did 3 years at college on AutoCAD so can't really condense that. But I'd be happy to give you a quick lesson over Skype sometime. Simple drawing's a doddle. Only a few commands TBH. I'll do you a real simple "how to" guide for say drawing a 2G socket or something in DraftSight and you can go from there. Leave it with me.

You can still run it on 64 bit Ubuntu thoughWorks fine on a mac :slap
I cant even get the .deb to unpack, wrong architecture :_|

I could maybe force it through the terminal, but then knowing me Id end up breaking something else,

I suppose a VM is possible,,,,,,,,,

I cant even get the .deb to unpack, wrong architecture :_| I could maybe force it through the terminal, but then knowing me Id end up breaking something else,

I suppose a VM is possible,,,,,,,,,
Join the Dassault Systemes community and you may find a fix.........

https://iam.3ds.com/service/social/

Just tried loading up a 700KB PDF "quick guide" I've done for DraftSight but can't do it! Think I need to ditch some existing attachments but can't remember how to!

Last edited by a moderator: