back box fly lead

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ParkySparky

Reaction score
Just reading elsewhere about a debate as to who links an earth to metal back box.

People saying you don't need to if one lug is fixed, allsorts of random reasons!

I personally do it every time out of habit of being shown that way and also it's a metal accessory that could become live under certain circumstances.

What are your thoughts????

+1 it just makes for unecessary congestion in the box. Don't fit one unless you have to. But since I've never seen a box with both lugs adjustable, I've not needed to.

Y bother putting terminals in the boxes then?

I agree it's says this, I still earth to back box though.

People will remove socket fronts whilst live and then there's no earth to back box!

Saying that if installed properly - grommets/conduit, could the back box become live?

Maybe abit over the top but just thought I'd start a thread an see people's personal methods :D

There is a lug installed just in case a metal accessory plate is fitted.AndyGuinness
Ah as in a grid switch plate?

But then the plate screws into the yoke which is earthed?

Would you want to take the remote chance of someone getting a buzz because you didnt install a 5 inch length of 1.5mm 6491X?AndyGuinness
No that's why I said I always put them in!

Was just wondering what other people's thoughts were?

Don't see the point in not putting one in!

Just use the off cut from the cable I just terminated!

Y bother putting terminals in the boxes then?

how about a 6gang plastic light switch?

no earth terminal on the accessory so you need the box terminal then.

All the ones I come across are crimped lug and screwed through the middle of the back box, if there's a row of switches.

I never do it!

In service the system works perfect! The problem arises when competent people are working inside live equipment, which you technically shouldn't be doing.

I never do it! In service the system works perfect! The problem arises when competent people are working inside live equipment, which you technically shouldn't be doing.
Exactly when socket is fixed then there is no need, it's not just competent people working! Decorators dropping sockets forward to paper behind!!!

Damaged cable, live back box and fingers!!! All for abit of 1.5?

Exactly when socket is fixed then there is no need, it's not just competent people working! Decorators dropping sockets forward to paper behind!!!Damaged cable, live back box and fingers!!! All for abit of 1.5?
Can someone provide some numbers of how many people have been harmed by back boxes not being bonded?

Exactly when socket is fixed then there is no need, it's not just competent people working! Decorators dropping sockets forward to paper behind!!!Damaged cable, live back box and fingers!!! All for abit of 1.5?
Can someone provide some numbers of how many people have been harmed by back boxes not being bonded?
Lets not be pedantic eh!

That's not the issue is it?

There are lots of things people do over and above 7671.

Was just wondering what people's opinions were!

What if only 1 person has been harmed does that mean its ok?

This is one of the age old ones Parky , where everyone has their own preference and some will argue vehemently in favour . I don't fit them . It used to be important when steel conduit was the only means of earthing , with just Red /Black cables feeding the socket . Originally on such a system, a socket was earthed only when it was screwed back to the box , which would not have an earth terminal anyway and relied on the 3/4 bush to be tight .

I'd like to see an extra earth term in single boxes as I tend to do all my looping there these days due to all the downlights going in, thus avoiding hidden J/Bs

That's true, I know in quite a few of the older supermarkets I work in the trunking/conduit is the cpc thus requiring socket/switch to be earthed via lead

Like I said I normally just put them in without even thinking about it! Maybe it stems from those jobs!

Each to their own though aslong as it complies and is safe.

Like the old saying, more than one way to skin a cat!

It's great to hear people's different views/methods if working.

This is why this place is great and soon to be better by what's been promised!

Roll on Sunday to see the new look!

Hopefully I'll be able to like posts etc from the iPhone app which is one thing that really annoys me that I can't do it now!!!

This is one of the age old ones Parky , where everyone has their own preference and some will argue vehemently in favour . I don't fit them . It used to be important when steel conduit was the only means of earthing , with just Red /Black cables feeding the socket . Originally on such a system, a socket was earthed only when it was screwed back to the box , which would not have an earth terminal anyway and relied on the 3/4 bush to be tight .I'd like to see an extra earth term in single boxes as I tend to do all my looping there these days due to all the downlights going in, thus avoiding hidden J/Bs
+1 Deke

In the old days when we installed conduit and used as earth the fly lead was the way, but not in this day and age.

It's a bit like looking into an Airing Cupboard and seeing every visible copper pipe cross bonded, when it only need 2 or 3 due them all being linked anyway.

This is one of the age old ones Parky , where everyone has their own preference and some will argue vehemently in favour . I don't fit them . It used to be important when steel conduit was the only means of earthing , with just Red /Black cables feeding the socket . Originally on such a system, a socket was earthed only when it was screwed back to the box , which would not have an earth terminal anyway and relied on the 3/4 bush to be tight .I'd like to see an extra earth term in single boxes as I tend to do all my looping there these days due to all the downlights going in, thus avoiding hidden J/Bs
+1 Deke

In the old days when we installed conduit and used as earth the fly lead was the way, but not in this day and age.

It's a bit like looking into an Airing Cupboard and seeing every visible copper pipe cross bonded, when it only need 2 or 3 due them all being linked anyway.
Haha I love that! Cross bonding! Every piece of copper with a clamp on it! Even though if you actually stand back and look at them you realise majority of them all come from same pipe 10 inches further up!!!

Nearly as mad as those radiator bonding clamp jobbies that were once floating around!

Can't beat abit of 4mm g & y along skirting to bond a radiator!!!

While we are on the subject of unecessary bonding:

Am I the only one that has seen installations where the double 13A sockets have TWO earth terminals. Clearly both connected to the same strip of metal. But the sparks who installed them, diligently took an earth jumper from one earth terminal to the other one.

Someone must have told him to connect ALL earth terminals.

While we are on the subject of unecessary bonding:Am I the only one that has seen installations where the double 13A sockets have TWO earth terminals. Clearly both connected to the same strip of metal. But the sparks who installed them, diligently took an earth jumper from one earth terminal to the other one.

Someone must have told him to connect ALL earth terminals.
Your kidding me headbang