Bathroom storage heater problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've not got much experience with storage heaters, but I'd say if you connect the cables through where the stat is and the heater works then your problem would be the stat. Or at least you've narrowed it down that the heater works or doesn't.

what is the fault? just that the heater wont work?

I agree it sounds like the 'stat (if that's what it is) is shot. Personally I'd remove it, or link it out, I suspect it was used with an earlier storage heater which was replaced by the Dimplex unit which doesn't need it.

AT 230 VOLTS YOUR CURRENT DRAWN WOULD BE 16.4 AMPS. IT'S JUST POSSIBLE THERE'S A PROBLEM WITH THE ELEMENT IN THE HEATER, I.E. one part of the element is touching another part of it hence slightly reducing the resistance. It should be at around 17 ohms for operation on a 13 amp fuse (in a fused connection outlet). If this fault is present the rewireable fused will hold on to the overload as it is slight. Open the heater and check the condition and placement of the element, check with the manufacturer as to what the ohmic value of it should be.