Battery Storage / Solar Question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mort2376

The devil's in the details, or the dodgy wiring !
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, im putting my head above the parapet with my tin hat on for this one !

I don't install these, and have very little knowledge about them ( a dangerous thing I know ! ) but was doing an EICR at a property which the customer has just moved into.

The invertor and the batteries are located in a small office room at the back of the garage. The EICR has thrown up some issues and the garage needs a full rewire and new main to it as a result of high Zs reading, the fact its fed by a 2 core 2.5 swa !

I cast my eye over the generating system, and I located the DC isolator for the panels, but according to the manual ( its a Growatt system ) there should be an AC isolator to separate the invertor from the mains supply, this is not present. The manual also talks about a DC mcb to protect the batteries which again is not present.

I found out that the previous owner was apparently "an electrical engineer" so im wondering if this system has been installed by him and that would explain the possible lack of proper isolation.

Your thoughts and comments would be welcome.

Ducks back down and holds onto his hat :)

certainly should be an AC isolator, as for the battery, I've always used in line fuses rather than an MCB, but yes, there should be something to isolate the battery as well as protect the cables from overloading.

Latest posts