bifacial panels?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bladerunnerpv

Reaction score
Hi folks
I saw a datasheet for bifacial panels recently
https://eurener.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/Eurener-MEPV_Nexa-DG-Bif_480-500W_enafce.pdf

Not seen anything on the forum about bifacial panels, so just wondering, for domestic use on a concrete tile roof or mounted on a brick wall, is there any real point in having bifacial panels? Presumably they capture light reflected from the roof, so a commercial warehouse with a corrugated style metal roof could benefit, but a house less so?

Also the spec sheet has an additional section of Voc, Isc e.t.c. applicable for 'bifacial gain',
So at STC the usual Voc is 43.25V and Isc 14.52A for a 500W panel
but with 'bifacial gain' it's Voc 43.31V and Isc 16.02A, so quite a lot more current.
Presumably for checking string voltages and inverter current limits the higher values should be applied?

thanks for taking a look

Bifacial panels gave been around for quite some time, but I've never really seen any articles on how well they work under the conditions you describe. I suspect they do offer a small performance boost, but is it as much as they claim? Might be worth a Google for some articles.

thanks binky.

Deege solar say

Bifacial solar panels work best when they lie around four metres from the ground. This is because the higher up the panel sits, the more light is able to get underneath them. For this reason bifacial solar panels are unlikely to suit a residential setting, but work well in solar farms, off-grid systems, or commercially.

Hey there! For domestic use, bifacial panels might not be super beneficial unless you've got a highly reflective surface like a light-colored roof or wall. They do capture reflected light, but the gain might be minimal on a typical house. And yep, for your inverter and string calculations, definitely use those higher bifacial gain values to stay safe. Cheers!

Latest posts