BOAT YACHT HVAC - Unbalanced Phases and Harmonics - Single-phase motor coggs only when feed from generators.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dear colleagues, here we have a very interesting maze, puzzling.
Please, Have you experienced single phase capacitor motors cogged by harmonics ?

This case happens on a Yacht with two big independent generators, not electrically paralleled, nor mechanically interconnected; So a slightly different frequency 3 hz and voltage 3 % are cycling between the two generators.
The two identical generators are feeding different panels, not clashing, but two generators neutrals are grounded on their own frame, and safety ground interconnects all metal components and frames on the yacht for the GFCI Protection system.

I suspect that unbalanced loads are returning to each generator through its own neutral, and finally on their commonly grounded frames to the whole yacht bonding system….. Which may be creating harmonics and displaced neutrals.

There are 6 main circuit panels, that can be feed by a random combination from 3 sources:
Gen 1, OR Gen 2, OR public network (this last only when the yacht is connected through its shore power cord to the dock)
Six manual switches (rotative drum) are used to feed each panel from the desired source. Manually.

Auto starting the 2nd generator, Synchronizing and Paralleling them may help to unify frequencies and voltages along independent panels; but it will continue to be a challenge to keep dynamically balanced phases under variable loads.

A conversation with the manufacturer after studying the yacht electric diagrams would be necessary.

=========================

For the air conditioning System, The yacht has 3 chillers electrically feed from different panels, ( and different generator), as well as a dozen single-phase motor’s fans for several rooms.

In the simplest HVAC system most likely there is only one unified pipeline loop, one chilled water pump (without variable-flow), and no solenoid regulating valves.

The temperature control may begin with 3 chillers
cycling their compressors, and end on each remote fan with independent speed and temperature control.

Different chillers and different fans are feed from different circuit phases from a different panel and generator……with unbalanced neutral voltages and frequencies, creating harmonics that interfere with some boat devices.

===========================
Out of the 12 remote fans, only two are presenting problems, they are connected on the same circuit, panel and generator;

When the controller pauses or varies the fan’s speed, randomly the fans get cogged and buzzing, simultaneously ( not crawling, but zero rotation) and after some minutes they suddenly resume running… simultaneously. All other fans on the system are working well .

Been a typical indication of Capacitor failure, ( but simultaneous failure, so I discarded it. Any how replacement was made without good results.

The Fans oddly do cogg, buzz and after some minutes restart simultaneously.
It could be an internal winding overheat disconnecting after the cogging, as surprisingly the startup winding hasn’t burnt its insulation yet.

Next conclusion will be a low voltage regulation when both try to restart on the same circuit, been unable to overcome the load…..but this is discarded because it only happens while both generators are operating and supplying the yacht energy.

The failure doesn’t happen when the energy is sourced from the public network, also doesn’t happen when only one generator is operating.

My conclusion is that it is related to 5th and 7th harmonics, and/or unbalanced phases, and thought about purchasing an oscilloscope, to check that negative sequence torque. But that is quite expensive.

Probably by adding a small isolation transformer, a regulator or a Harmonics filter by each fan’s start capacitor would be simpler, and a full clean beginning.

The harmonics in addition than produced by the generators, may also be produced in the motor’s airgap between rotor and stator, so filters may not work.

Please, share with me any experience or thoughts of how to solve.

Thank you😀

Not much, but my thoughts.
If it's only two out of twelve similar I would be trying to find what was different about those two. I don't see how it can be a universal issue with the generator earths, etc. Hence I would firstly suspect a wiring issue.
Is there any possibility that the neutral of the problem fans has been returned to the wrong busbar, (i.e. the other generator's one) ?
Have you had a meter across one of the fans when it stalls? - or connect an incandescent light bulb and see what happens.
It sounds like you have a central controller which varies speeds on the remote fans; is that correct? If so, what happens if you swap the troublesome fans onto a different channel?

Not much, but my thoughts.
If it's only two out of twelve similar I would be trying to find what was different about those two. I don't see how it can be a universal issue with the generator earths, etc. Hence I would firstly suspect a wiring issue.
Is there any possibility that the neutral of the problem fans has been returned to the wrong busbar, (i.e. the other generator's one) ?
Have you had a meter across one of the fans when it stalls? - or connect an incandescent light bulb and see what happens.
It sounds like you have a central controller which varies speeds on the remote fans; is that correct? If so, what happens if you swap the troublesome fans onto a different channel?
I will try that and report back. Thank you.

Those two motors works well when connected to the public network, and also work well when only one generator is operating ( any generator); by just rotating the manual commuting drum switches of each independent panel.

Only when the 2nd generators enters in operation, the intermittent sporadic cogging happens, “both motors cogg simultaneously” as they are in same panel and same branch circuit breaker. I have also commuted this specific panel to one or another generator, with same failure.

Without couple of “recording testers” it is difficult to catch the precise moment when, The voltage variation from a “momentary unbalance” caused by a non-identified-yet “momentary load” ( or starting motor) is also feed by the generator.

Both generators have their own independent neutral, connected to their own frame. But frames are interconnected by the whole yacht “earth” network.
Would it be irrelevant if the return line of the motor is connected to a different neutral bar ?

It has to be simpler than all the following complex theory, as it should be common issue in real life for years and years…. Here is where your experience becomes PURE GOLD 😀:

THEORY
Cogged motor means “a” or “b”
a. 5th or 7th harmonic braking,
Any idea of How to select, and obtain a harmonics filter?
( the harmonics are produced within the airgap between Rotor & Stator from both: 3-Ph Generator and 1-ph motor; more likely in the small 1-phase capacitor-Start-motor; usually adding a lineal load as a lightbulb increases the active current, creating a different ratio with the reactive current.

or

b. Low torque resulting from reduction of the ratio {Volt/Hz}:
- A 3hz difference will lower torque by only 5% ,
- But a 15% Voltage drop in case of unbalanced phases could reduce torque by 15%, and cogg the motor.

Probably another phase is been loaded/unloaded causing a generator 3-phases unbalance, and consequently a low voltage , cogging the air conditioner’s fan motor.