Bonding to a Digital Aerial

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theorysparky

Domestic Electrician
Reaction score
Im not sure what i have required to provide is correct for a new Digi Ae installation

The guy requires 5amp supply ......no problems

He has also requested a seperate earth (10m length) so he can bond to the aerial itself :eek: to what what i asked

The MET !!!!

are you sure about that i said lightning conductors dont go thru the MET !!!!

To be fair to the guy he agreed that it shouldnt be on there but that was their regs.

I have since done some searching on the net and discovered that all distribution points (amp and passive splitters) require 4mm bonding due to the build up of touch voltage (link below)

Downloads - Electricians

i have said i will look into this further and advise

anyone got any good info on this ??????

Cheers

when customer has new aerial fitted now all bonding has to be checked, all circuits RCD'd, upgrade tails and main earth-cover you A*** :slap

Theo,

I would not worry too much about what this prat says, suffice to say he will be getting an email of me in the next couple of days!

can anyone spot his HOPEFULLY deliberate mistake?

No Monkey, sorry if you thought it was, geniuinely sorry.

It is aimed at the muppet that wrote the document that Theo has linked to.

Sorry again if you thought I was referring to you I was not in any way means shape or form.

No Monkey, sorry if you thought it was, geniuinely sorry.It is aimed at the muppet that wrote the document that Theo has linked to.

Sorry again if you thought I was referring to you I was not in any way means shape or form.
no worries mate been a long day so not all there and couldnt work out wat i said wrong.

This one makes more sense

Earth Bonding - Aerial Concepts

it talks about the LPS (lightning protection system) of a property and that if there is one the aerial needs to be connected to it with 16mm g/y and thats the installers responsibility !!

Theo,

I have not read this one, and, probably will not if it is supplied by an equipment vendor.

As far as lightening protection systems go, no connections should be made without consulting a competent lightening protection engineer familiar with the installation in question.

Thanks mate

that was my thinking that it was a no go area

i think the aerial guy i spoke to got it wrong,,,i will educate him further and let him cross bond his kit.

I have to agree with Sidewinder, connecting the aerial to any met is bad enough but to connect it to lightening protection is as far as I can see madness, any strike would take the full extent inside the property.

Ok I'm going to put my head up and be prepared to get it shot at,.

Reg 411.3.1.2

I will confess i have no idea of the contents of BS EN 62305

But as far as i know lightnig condutcers are conected to the met

every commercial new build i have worked on has had the LPS bonded, come to think of it everthing metal on the roof is usually bonded to the LPS, and the DTI guide for PV says arrays should be bonded to the LPS.

Hey guys, i got a bit confused this afternoon, went to do a little job, parked up at sidewall of two storey apartments and saw 1 length of conduit on the wall going to earthing rod enclosure on the ground.

However once in the property it was definately TNCS. So I went back outside looked up and noticed the G/Y cable went straight up to the aerial.

Puts on Nomex suit and awaits the flames of wrath but,...........later in the week i am meeting up with an aerial installer to look at a 50 bed hotel his is 'cabling up'. He wants me to look at 'bonding up the equipment' that he is installing but he does not really know what wants doing and i have NO idea!!! I have looked on various sites and it 'appears' to be 4mm linking everything and then back to MET???.........................just looking for a bit of input from somebody who knows. Could do without it really but, we pass work on to each other and it is really just to bail him out.... :coat

Kerch,

Check the CAI website, however!

I am not convinced that this is correct, as you would be making a lightning conductor out of the aerial.