British Gas and Electrics

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theorysparky

Domestic Electrician
Reaction score
On a job last week and was approached by a neighbour if i could quote for a CU change in preperation for a new kitchen.

Discussed it and she said British gas wont do it unless there is an isolator fitted.

She arranged EON to do it he turned up and guess what..........

it is one of these new meters with an isolator built in

She has told BG to get lost and has given the job to me.........nice

Would EON know what meter it was before hand ??

and is the cover for the switch meant to be sealed ??? or left for us ?

Eon should have known, it is them that fit them and not the dno, however like everything else the paper work from one department to the other would get lost misplaced or whoever deals with your enquiry is out.

The switch side is normally left for the electrician to seal

BG are useless

Got a call last week to go sort out an alarm - BG had turned up to change a MCB or something, forgot to reconnect a circuit and left them with one lighting circuit off, and no power to alarm. she phoned them and they told her she had some lighting and would have to wait til the next day. Early morning, panel battery finally runs out, making bellbox sound. another call to BG - they told her they dont touch alarms. bloke turns up the following day, re-connects supply and 'fixes' alarm

By 'fixed', he means fuse is removed and not sounding.

turns out he tried to fix alarm, but when it wouldnt accept her code he gave up. i gets there and covers are removed. he had somehow managed to re-set to default (Veritas 8C), and couldnt work out what to do next (manual next to alarm).

Best part is..... he said something to her about him being an ex-alarm engineer!

That was probably before he started messing with it!

The service this lady recieved is rubbish, and she should complain because I know they are not cheap.

That was probably before he started messing with it!The service this lady recieved is rubbish, and she should complain because I know they are not cheap.
she is complaining and she will be getting them to pay what she paid me. i think i can safely say who she wont be calling for any electrical problems in the future