Burnt Ceiling

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yes another one.

Rental house. "mcb tripping when the kitchen light is turned on"

Met the landlord at the property.

GU10 downlights covered in loft insulation. All light fittings and cable melted. Plasterboard ceiling badly scorched.

Landlord sheepishly admitted he fitted the extra layer of insulation that now covers the lights.

Fitted new lights, thankfully enough slack cable to cut off the burnt ends.

But can't get them back into the ceiling. The plasterboard where it has been scorched is so brittle and fragile it just crumbles.

I've left it as the landlords problem to sort out. suggested he tries reinforcing the edge of the crumbling hole with some filler, leaves it to set then try again.

Other wise just stick them to the ceiling with sticks like sh*t

Or replace the ceiling.

There is small hole inside to fix it with small nail, or can use any sealant and downlighters will hold them any way with springs.

I'll earmark those for next time.

I think I would fix them with sticks like sh*t or similar, so at least they stay put and consolidate what's left of the ceiling.

I've sometimes grip filled a bit of 1/8th ply above and used those reducer disc things below.

But if it's not your problem then leave as is.
I'd be careful about using ply, You'd have to make sure the fittings are "F" marked as suitable for a combustible ceiling. Plasterboard is classed as non-combustible, If the plasterboard has marks on it from overheating fittings then I'd not want to introduce ply to the situation.

Same issue presents itself with wooden lathes

Could however use a similar method bit get a bit of thin metal plate fabricated to go above.