Cable Routing Floor To Floor

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecasam

Reaction score
Hello

Hope you are all well, I havent been on the site for a while, due to health issues and work load.

Anyway please can I have your views, as always thanks in advance.

Rewire of a house, the CU is in the basement and they want cabels put in the loft for a conversion in a couple of years time.

what route for the cables do you prefer.... i.e straight up from the CU through floor to floor...OR... go across the floor void to the corner of the room and up the walls within the 150 allowed...

Never really been certain of best route for this type of caballing.

Just run in any safe zone, whatever is easiest.

Make sure they anticipate ALL loads that are going in the loft. A ring final and light circuit is the very minimum.

I think in straight lines TBH  so the temptation is their to go straight up by the most straightforward route.

However I'm sure you are aware that we can't do that and should stick to the safe zones as Dave says.

The only people who know where the "Safezones " are , are electricians  buts thats not our problem , just cover the orifices.  Or do it in surface trunking .

And don't forget the 3 core for the Smoke Alarm.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of job where I had to future proof for loft conversions. I put in a swa submain & had a small cu in the loft. One I was lucky with and ran swa up with the soil stack that was then boxed in, the other I had to go external to the property up the wall & back into the loft space.

But normally I go the shortest route possible.

That's a good idea M107, you can then cope with virtually all unexpected loads.

But as Evans says, also add your 3 core & E for the interlinked smokes.

usually find a route in cupboards or soil stack or similar, much easier to add change things that way rather than chasing in.

You can always add a smoke alarm via radio interlink if you forget the 3 core.