Can I join more.........

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can I join the sph-6000 club, installed with 2x6.5kwh batteries in July with a 7kw solar array.

A few points

When running from Solar the output does seem to get to 6kw or so, but you’re rite the 3kw output the rest of the time is a shame, I went into it a bit naïvely and thought 6 kW would be the output from both at any point and I find often in the evening we are running a kettle and oven or oven and air fryer and we go over 3 kW quite often so that’s causing us to pull an excessive amount from the grid, which I wasn’t prepared for in my cost saving calculations.

In addition to this, I found that the CT clamp that supplied is not accurate at low currents so the smart meter was bouncing around 100 W export to 100 W import at any one point which is fairly significant over the course of the day.

Switching the ct clamp for a dual pole modbus power meter brought the accuracy up to almost perfect zero import export at any one time.

I was shocked Growatt support couldent answer this on the phone and I had to find out through trial and error.

Starting in October, I disconnected the PV array to test a battery only scenario as an offering to potentially start a business and do this for the people, so I moved to EDF go electric which has a 4.5p night rate, which, combined with the meter, instead of CT clamp has made a big difference to the return on investment.

A few more annoyances when I do run out of the battery power if the Mrs has been running a tumble dryer in the daytime it’s quite annoying that we have all this investment and we still can’t make use of it at the core time in the evening, for this reason, I think I’m going to go to about 20 kWh of energy storage and swap the SPH inverter out for a 8kw victron. The Victron can pump out up to 15 kW for a short period of time which will cover all usage. It also has a significantly shorter ramp up time. For instance, if I turn the kettle on with the growwatt it might be 10 seconds or so before ramp and sync to grid at 3kw output, as a pose to the Victron which is pretty much instantaneous because the entire consumer unit is wired up in parallel as it can transfer 100 A full supply.

I also installed the A/T/S for Offgrid in the event of a power cut but again the output is limited to 3 kW, so you need to be careful what loads you’re pulling in the house in off grid mode and have a local Earth.

Will report back findings in a week or so as the victron is sat waiting to be installed, just need a few hours of peace to do it.

I think the growatt is great value for money and a super entry point into battery storage, but it is by no means perfect.

Double check if the Victron will talk to the Growatt batteries.

Having found a similar situation to yourself, I'm adding a DIY 14kWh battery with a Victron inverter to my system, this should give 8kW of battery - inverter power and 21 kWh storage.

Victron is a strange animal to set up, nothing like Growatt.

Last edited:
Very interesting to read as I’m firmly a club member too. As you and John has said in the past the downside is the 3kw output. Think that’ll be my next fire to put out once I’ve actually got DNO approval (installer forgot to apply for it until I asked after install had taken place 🤦🏻‍♂️) I’ll keep an eye on this thread, cheers Nick

Double check if the Victron will talk to the Growatt batteries.

Having found a similar situation to yourself, I'm adding a DIY 14kWh battery with a Victron inverter to my system, this should give 8kW of battery - inverter power and 21 kWh storage.

Victron is a strange animal to set up, nothing like Growatt.
Interesting, so growatt and Victron batteries at the same time... will the Victron be responsible for charging all the batteries or will you keep both inverters ?

My understanding is that the Victron, in parallel mode will respond much faster, has the built in transfer switch for power cuts and in general is going to be much cleaner.

How about selling the growatt and going for a larger Victron, I have the multiplus II 8000 ?

I intend to go off grid at some point for everything... including taxes if I could.

Interesting, so growatt and Victron batteries at the same time... will the Victron be responsible for charging all the batteries or will you keep both inverters ?

My understanding is that the Victron, in parallel mode will respond much faster, has the built in transfer switch for power cuts and in general is going to be much cleaner.

How about selling the growatt and going for a larger Victron, I have the multiplus II 8000 ?

I intend to go off grid at some point for everything... including taxes if I could.
The only problem with changing the Growatt is battery comms to the Growatt battery, I dont know if Victron will talk to it properly. On my system I have an automatic changeover switch that switches to the emergency supply disconnecting the grid at the same time. I'm hoping the Victron will simply continue to feed into the system in grid tie mode to the emergency supply.