Can RCD's be faulty

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been called out over this cold snap and found lots of condensation in lofts, and in one particular case drips onto an aerial amplifier. This was double insulated - but the plug was conventional and had the cardboard connection details on the back. When this got wet it was enough to cause an RCBO to trip after a minute.In 4 years I've only had one RCD failure - but loads of circuit and appliance faults. First rule is unplug and isolate everything in sight and see if things improve!

If not call someone with the test gear to check it out!
Fantastic, I hate it when people leave those bits of card on, now I have a logical reason to rant on about!

Many thanks to everyone who has answered. I have just managed to locate an electrician who is coming round this afternoon.Will let you know the outcome later.

Kind regards

Tony
Glad to hear it, I'm all for people doing DIY but somethings are best left to an electrician, it'll give you peace of mind and you'll know your installation is safe.

:)

Tom

So Zs all the attached circuits too (along with IR, polarit, etc..)?

Many thanks to everyone who has answered. I have just managed to locate an electrician who is coming round this afternoon.Will let you know the outcome later.

Kind regards

Tony
In this situation probably the wise move Tony. It will be good to hear what the outcome is.

Doc H.

In this situation probably the wise move Tony. It will be good to hear what the outcome is.Doc H.
Indeed it will.

Anyway, so shall we start a book?

Think I may go for dodgy outside light spurred off ring. Who wants the others? Failing immersion coil anyone or socket on damp wall?

Ian.

Job done,it was a socket in the conservatory,surface mounted twin socket corroded inside and incorrectly sized cable. The corosion was caused by a small leak in conservatory roof, he fitted a new socket and a spur so we can't overload the socket. Need to fix roof now. He charged

Job done,it was a socket in the conservatory,surface mounted twin socket corroded inside and incorrectly sized cable. The corosion was caused by a small leak in conservatory roof, he fitted a new socket and a spur so we can't overload the socket. Need to fix roof now. He charged

Good Job.

Sounds closest was socket on a damp wall. Now who had that.....

excellent news, goes to show we aren't all cheating sods who were trying to rob you :)

i'm glad its sorted without you putting yourself in danger doing works that weren't needed.

on a side note i got called out last night to a tenant with an intermittent fault where lights in the house would flicker(all of them) and the RCBO for the kitchen ring would trip but when i was there last night all was well so fault to find as such but today i went back and discovered the fault, undervoltage. the tenants were convinced and trying to convince me that the RCBO was faulty and "making the lights go funny" but it was the fact that they had only 137v coming into the house! my first clue was the lighting MCB was buzzing, just made me think about mechanical devices with undervoltage :)

It makes me proud to be associated with you all.
Even me?! ;)

i called the supplier personally(i like to do this as getting info and technical readings from a tradesmen is always better believed/more reliable than passed on via a layman and i can also answer other questions they may have)
After a recent (ish) call out to a fault on an industrial unit the following conversation took place.

Me: The yellow phase is down.

Them: There will be a