Can Someone Explain Required Qualifications?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoSpark

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been answered before but I couldn't find the exact answers I'm looking for.

I'm in a small partnership where we do alarm, CCTV, data cabling and aerial/satelitte work. Sometimes there is a need for electrical work to be done and we have to contract this out. Usually this means a job has to be held up while we wait for someone else to come in and do it. This can be frustrating when it is not a big job but we have to wait a couple of days for it to get done.

My thinking is if I get qualified to do the work, this will save us having to wait a day or two for someone else (and sometimes being let down) and it then enables us to offer another service (obviously this is a long term goal).

My question is can someone explain what qualifications are needed as a minimum to actually be allowed to carry out electrical work (this includes domestic, commerical and industrial). I am not looking for employment with an electrical firm or to become a contractor, so I would just want to start with the absolute minimum.

I see lots of places offering the 2365 C&G level 2 and 3. Upon completing this am I able to carry out work unsupervised, or do a need to get the NVQ level 3 for that?

With regards to the NVQ level 3, I've seen it estimated this will take between 2-3 years to acheive depending on what work you have access to. Can someone provide some insight as to what is actually involved in the NVQ level 3 and why it is estimated to take that amount of time?

Sorry this is a loaded set of questions, I just couldn't find difinitive answers anywhere else.

Many thanks for taking the time to read it.

no qualifications required, but you must be competent. you will also need relevant insurance etc, and if you do anything in a house, then building regs may need also come into it

and when you say you have to wait for A N other to do the job etc... its usually because you have left it til the last minute to book the sparky...

For what you are doing you could go down the 'limited scope' registration route. Contact the NICEIC or NAPIT and see what they require. Under this you need to demonstarte competence to do the odd fused spur you fit to power your equipment, ie very limited re-mit. NB This doesn't make you a sparky, but it would probably cover 90% of what you need.

Agree with my colleagues above.....however:

If you`re doing Comm/ind, then the qualifications you need are slightly more involved; as is the experience of what you might come across.

What you need will primarily depend on what you need to do. Limited scope is (sort of) fine on domestic; but worthless anywhere else.

In your position; as you`ve described it, I`d be looking to either employ a qualified bod; or get friendly with a spark; who can & will take your "extras" - I do this with a couple of heating / AC companies; as they need supplies, or unusual wiring...they `phone with a couple of days notice, and I fit `em in.

They don`t go elsewhere; and in return I don`t let them down. 

i'm in a similar situation with a couple of plumbers, boiler installers,

they replace or install boilers, do a quick check on existing install [one of them is "partP" qualified, :slap   , he even agrees ]

if its not a straightforward swap, or earth isnt right etc etc, they call me,

as he said, He might be 'partP' , but he doesnt know jack about what to do if the meter doesnt show him the result he was expecting, and he can spend his time making money easier doing what he knows, rather than waste it taking 5times longer to do what I know how to do,

and probably still not getting it right in the end.