Career change course advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TiimH

Reaction score
Hi All.

I would like to call on your experienced advice, so any help very much appreciated.

I am looking to change my career path, with the ultimate aim to being self-employed and in a more practical role again.

Im 31 now and my career started after completing a degree in Marine Engineering, which was hard, but managed to complete, although I dont feel im very academic. I then joined the Merchant Navy for 4 years, and now work as an applications engineer for an internal combustion engine manufacturer. So I do have some electrical knowledge and experience, but not nearly as much hands-on as I want, as that to me cements understanding and gives you real job satisfaction.

Basically Im unhappy sat at a desk and want to return to a practical job, much like I did at sea, but with purely electrical work and landbased. Electrical engineering is my weaker knowledge area (being mainly a mechanical biased) and is now fast becomming my strong interest.

I am looking at gaining the qualifications I need to work as an industrial electrician or power electrician.

First thing I should mention is that Im very slightly colourblind, but pass City University and Farnsworth D15 tests - I had to for my work at sea, to be able to work on the 3 phase systems etc.... I only fail the ishihara. Is that ever an issue on land?

I have been looking at C&G courses, and Im not yet 100% clear on what is right or required for certain fields.

So far one training centre said that many ex-military people complete a 4 week package they offer - inc. C&G 2382-10, 2392-10, 2393-10, 2391-10. Is that the route I should take?

However I also note 2330, 2339, and 2322, and told about 2395, as in future with more experience I would want to design systems and then install them etc...

Not sure what I need to do to be legal, or initially to gain experience as employable to work on 3 phase systems etc...

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Tim

TBH it all depends on your previous experience, knowledge and qualifications.

Before I went self employed I used to repair avionics instrumentation and equipment for the RAF (civvy - indentured apprenticeship) and have a HNC in elecrical/electronic engineering; I then did my 16th edition (2381 as it was) and 2391 as 3 and 4 1/2 day courses respectively.

If your knowledge and experience aren't great then It'd probably be better if you enrolled at a local college for night classes rather than use these expensive training centres - they will teach you how to pass the course, but not how to apply that knowledge in real life

Depends what you want to do in the future, if you want to work on site 2330/2357, 17th Edition and 2391 is the way to go

If you want to get into design in the future do the 2395 then 2396 - If you do the 2391-10 you cannot transfer this to the new 2396 (old 2391-20)

I did what your considering last year and I completed level 2 and 3 2330, 17th and 2392. I would never advise to stay in a job you dont like (unless supporting kids/mortgage etc) but I would think very carefully about this as there isnt much work out there at the moment for mates/improvers and I cant get any in my area. I believe London is still ticking over nicely if you are based there or if you have secure access into the industry, eg a friend that will take you on for 6 months maybe go for it. Also bear in mind that alot of employers are far more interested in time served than qualifications and although I am a shake'n'bake I cannot blame them.

Thanks.

All sound advice.

Looking like I do 2330/2357 for starters.

Cheers

Tim

I made a mistakes which you can learn from. I did not start to organise my cscs/ecs card until I had finished college, the process takes longer than you think it would so get that sorted so you have it ready for when you finish. Good luck