What to do.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jc1996

Reaction score
Hi guys I’m at one of the funny times in my career where I can’t decide on what I want to do. I’m wondering if one of you experiences folks can offer some advice.

Here’s a bit about me: I’m now 27, I did an apprenticeship in mechanical engineering 17-21 a lot of metal work fabrication welding fitting turning ect.( also completed a HNC in mech engineering). I then decided I wanted to learn more the electrical side of things and managed to get a job in electrical maintenance completing an NVQ in electrical maintenance as well as test and inspection 18th edition. The electrical maintenance was a lot of industrial work, pumps motors, VSD soft starts ect. I’ve also had some experience in domestic electrics and working on the underground carrying out install. Oh yeah and I self funded a HNC in electrical engineering.

Sorry for the long post just not sure what my next step is. I know I can do the experienced worker route for install if I wanted but I know I will have to take a pay cut and become a mate to do this. If anyone can offer some advice it would be much appreciated.

I suggest you should get into industry. With your experience and qualifications you can set your sights higher than house bashing.
Second that, your existing skill base is already higher than most domestic sparks.

Might be worth jumping on the current band wagon for air source heat pumps, I believe many companies are recruiting for this line of work, such as BG and Tesco.

Thanks guys. Is there any benefit of me doing the installation NVQ or would I be wasting my time?

Also would you know what quals are needed to get involved with air source heat pumps?

Thanks guys. Is there any benefit of me doing the installation NVQ or would I be wasting my time?

Also would you know what quals are needed to get involved with air source heat pumps?
I believe the companies recruiting are providing all the training.

Wouldn't waste your time with the NVQ unless you absolutely have to, you almost certainly know more than that course teachs