CCTV Supplementing Electrical work

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulSC

Reaction score
Evening all,

I've searched the forum and found some useful info regarding CCTV (http://www.cctv-information.co.uk, Home Office etc) but I still have a few questions.

While researching CCTV products on the internet for my own house, it struck me that if approached properly, CCTV could supplement my normal domestic electrical work, which is struggling at the moment. But, I don't have any real experience of CCTV apart from a couple of Philips (now Bosch?) RJ11 twisted pair kit.

My thinking is over the coming years, less police + more unemployment = more crime.

A little simplistic, but bear with me. I live close to many affluent areas where there is still money. But if I was a customer looking for CCTV in these parts, I'm not sure where I'd look or who to contact.

So, looking from a purely Domestic point of view:

1. Are there any British Standards that have to be complied with, similar to fire safety etc?

2. Is there any recognised qualification that I would need to look at getting?

3. Would domestic CCTV jobs be notifiable to anyone?

Having spent many hours searching the net, there is a huge amount of product available, though much of it appears quite similar in functionality, connectivity or quality (apart from lots of Chinese tat on ebay).

1. Who would you recommend as suppliers (price, tech support etc)?

2. Do they provide catalogues to show customers products and offer discounts?

3. I know this is difficult to answer without a real life scenario, but what products would you recommend and what do you stay well clear of?

4. Are there any other useful resources I should be looking at?

I might be barking up the wrong tree or just barking mad :_| but I cant sit back and do nothing while things are so quiet. I sorry if this is a little long winded, but really appreciate any guidance you can offer.

Paul, Good interesting question, sorry I can't help, but I await responses with baited breath!

Seriously, I have an interest if only for my own place!

Thanks Sidewinder - just hope I don't get shot down.

Watch this space ...

I have Badge's email - its very good. Who would like to start the bidding :p

Thanks Riggy,

Going to check them out tomorrow.

And thanks again Badge.

Paul

Hi Badger,

Are there any tools that you would recommend to anyone doing or proposing to do CCTV installs above and beyond what we already carry on the van? I'm thinking stuff like BNC crimp tools etc

Thankyou sir :Salute

Latest posts