Changeing ISP

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldtimespark

Reaction score
I have had low speed connection with my current ISP(AOL) and I am thinking of going over to another broadband supplier has any one got any good recommendations for a new supplier.

You probably won't gain much in speed as that is determined by the local telephone network.. as they all use the same network,, you get the same speed..

You should be looking to see how many servers to users they have,, the lower the ratio the better

NozSpark it not that the speed is always low my line profile is 4MB, but at certain times of day mainly peak times, the speed slows drop to 0.5-1.5MB. It returns to full speed around 11pm .

Was with o2 for last few years and cannot fault them really and they come high in the ranks for speed.

When I joined them a few years ago I applied for the fastest speed available then 16mb, they connected me up and done a line check and i was only getting 10mb through the line so they put me on a cheaper tariff 8mb and let me have the 10mb. Which I though was really good of them. They could have just left it and I would be none the wiser. So I would recommend them.

Also if your mobile is with them or someone you know (even PAYG) you can get it cheaper.

Cheers

If you have a phone contract with Orange you can get 8mg broadband free. I use it & last speed test was 6.5mg.

How far away are you from a BT Exchange?

I gott 6.58 download, 0.51 upload & 73ms ping.

You might want to establish wether its AOL saving money by sticking too many customers on the same stack or the last mile wiring. Alot of adsl has to reduce its speed to cope with the stability and line noise, times to take note is the street lighing and most things really inductive in the area. Also distance takes part of this so its worth checking distance+line noise+cable quality(will require calling them up and asking them to do some tests to determine this), line quality; your router should do this to a point but again their test is more accurate. google up SamKnows and find out your distance.

EDIT:What are they providing you with? speed wise

most speed is lost down the cabling from the last mile and ISPs can be help against this so you'll get over charged at the same time and while your on the contract you can't do much about it.

I think mine is going by Royal Mail

headbangheadbangheadbangheadbang
Oh dear android, that doesn't look very good at all, a carrier pigeon may be a good investment? What type of contract do you have, do they stipulate any expected speed ranges?

Doc H.

The BT broadband engineer visited when the problem first arose he did all his tests he said everything is fine.

I have no reason not to believe him I was in collage with him. he is a time served spark who went to BT when he left Ebbw Vale steel works.

Here are the router stats attached.

router stats.jpg