College funding - ideas please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misssweden

DNO Official™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did my first day at college yesterday! :D Loved it! :D

However, I'm having issues with my funding. Basically (trying to keep this short and sweet), what I'm doing now is the 2365 Level 2, with the aim of finding an apprenticeship for next year to do my NVQ Level 3 as well as my Level 3 Technical Certificate. The problem is that I was planning to take out a Career Development Loan that would - together with my part-time job - see me through college. However, as the course I am doing now is only for a year I would need to start paying it back a month after the course fininshes, which is when I'm (hopefully! Fingers, toes and grandmas crossed) doing my apprenticeship. There's no way I'm gonna be able to afford that!

So, has anyone got any idea what I can do now? And does anyone know of any trusts or charities were I can apply for grants? Any help would be hugely appreciated!

My part-time job will help, but it's event work with casual hours which means I can't rely on it as the hours vary so much. Student loans aren't an option as they are only for people at university, not college.

I'm back at college tomorrow so I'm gonna speak to Student Services and see if they can help me.

And yes, I know I should have sorted it out before starting college but I was still hoping to get an apprenticeship, so doing the 2365 was a last minute decision.

Depending how much you want to borrow i would get a interest free credit card, if its a large amount get two on interest free. When the interest free is about to expire think about applying for another credit card that offers interest free on balance transfers. If your worried you will just put extra pounds on the card, just cut them up and through away after you have payed your college fees. Or you could ask your bank for a loan over a short time frame, or extend your overdraft limit if possible.

Thank you, I'll look into that. Always been a bit vary of having a credit card though...

I've paid my fee, what I really need help with is my living costs. I haven't got the option to move in with mum and dad (my family all live abroad) so I need to be able to pay my rent and pay for my car. Everything else is secondary.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 17:39 ---------- Previous post was made at 17:34 ----------

I have heard there is good money to be made down by the docks doing favours for sailors..Darning socks sewing buttons on shirts that kinda thing:eek:

How much are the fees?
Hahaha, the Oxford Road in Reading is also I good place to go if you're in that kind of trade :p

But then needlework isn't really my thing :p

I paid