"come and give me a quote to wire my garage"

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'll be going to look at this one on Friday. Not hopeful.

Don't you just love customers like this:

"I want a price for wiring my garage...."

"I've put all the wires in, they just need connecting...."

"And I've buried the wire from the garage to the house...."

"But I've found out it's only 2.5mm..."

"It comes out by the patio, but it will have to go round to the front" (erm how will it do that)?

"A mate has given me a fuse box that should be okay."

I start questioning what sort of fuse box is in the house. A rewireable, so no RCD.

I'll bet the cable from garage to house is not SWA.

I can almost guarantee everything he has done will be no good. I'll probably give him a quote to start all over from scratch.

I'll report back after Friday.

My gut feeling is quote way too high as I just sense it's going to be grief.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fusebox ????

Fuse in a Box more like !!!!!

If it was me i would go and quote and tell him everything that is wrong and scare him !!!!!!!

This sounds like someone whom I know very well! He knows apparently how to do all of the trades!

I've met these sort of blokes before , you say "It has to be done to the wiring Regs " He says " No , No , don't worry about that , I've been doing my own electrics for years , ".

Run away ...run away !!

Just get a standard disclaimer letter written along the lines of:

To Whom it may concern,

I Mr. xxx, the undersigned here by state that I gave the electrician, Mr yyy verbal instructions in the design of the installation, the inspections that he was to carry out and the testing that he was required to do.

This specification may or may not meet the requirements of BS7671, and thus may or may not meet the requirements of the statutory building regulations.

However, I accept full and complete responsibility for the work of Mr yyy as he was simply working to my exact direction.

Thus I fully absolve Mr yyy of any responsibility for the work undertaken as all works were exactly to my specification.

Thus I am the designer, the person responsible for the construction & the person who managed and specified the levels of inspection and testing to be undertaken, thus I take responsibility for these works also.

Mr yyy is therefore absolved from any and all legal, moral and any other responsibility for this installation.

I have signed all areas of the electrical installation cerfiticate completed by Mr yyy indicating that I accept full and final responsibilty for these works & that I have complete and full technical and legal understanding of these works and all of the relevant standards and guidance that are related to these works.

Mr yyy will be paid in full immediately upon presentation of his invoice.

Also I take on full responsibility for any and all warranties on the work.

I accept that Mr yyy cannot take responsibility for any warranty or any other aspect of the work as it has been designed, specified, the installation supervised and installed in accordance to my guidance, and that the inspection, testing and commissioning has been undertaken to my specifications and is wholly acceptable to myself...

See where he goes with this?...

]:) :slap

This is definately a job where our "RevJames" signature applies.

Ooops Wrong post!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't even go to have a look, i'd just say I was too busy.

Well I'm back from looking at this job.

The customer wasn't there so I had no chance to talk it through with him, he just left a key under the bin.

Well I wasn't expecting the house to be one side of the road and the garage on the other. A 3 core 2.5mm SWA is buried under the road and up into the garage. Plenty of slack at the house end to reach the CU but some more burying to be done (which I will encourage the owner to do)

Inside the "garage" it's all plasterboarded and insulated. All the wiring is in decent cable in new colours. All accessories are screwed in place, but removing one as a sample shows they are not terminated. Looks to be wired for one ring final and one lighting circuit.

The "fuse box" his mate gave him are actually two 16th edition (i.e split load with 1 RCD) starbreaker boxes. They could be used but gross overkill for just 2 circuits.

So I'm inclined to take on the job, with the usual caveats about I didn't first fix it so if I find a faulty cable it will have to be fixed at his expense first. I also want to talk to him more about who first fixed it, and why they are not finishing it. I also want to know if he has already got a BC completion certificate for the garage.

I put "garage" in quotes, as yes it's a garage, but with kitchen units down one side with a worktop, and what looks to be a coal fired range cooker at the end, and as said before insulated and plasterboarded.

The other condition of me taking it on will be a CU change and any necessary remedials in the house. Presently a 6 way wooden backed Wylex rewireable with no spare capacity and no room in the cupboard for a second CU, so it's new CU or nothing. I'm willing to bet some upgrading will be needed.

I'll probably suggest I start with a paid for PIR to see what state the house wiring is in.