Comparing the performance of PV Modules/panels

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Smith

Reaction score
Hello
I made this comparaison table.
It includes what I believed the parameters to be compared (I have the dimensions as I also use this table for my own project and try to optimize the space I have available and also classed them in 3 categories Small, Medium and Large. a kind of power range)
With the green background, I have marked what I believe is the winner for each parameter
For each category (small, medium, large), I have also set a number "Order of preference" to indicate which panel is from my point of view the winner.

@binky I have also taken into account the 200W/m² curve. I am not sure I am interpretating correctly though. What we are looking at for this parameter is the maximum power generated by the panel at low light which is represented by the 200W/m² curve. This is a power and the highest the better, I take it.

1691922316221.png

Are there other parameters I should add to better differentiate between the panels or do you think this is enough?
Of course the cost will also be one parameter to take into account. If Canadian solar 440W cost twice as much as the Trina, then Trina will surely be the winner. However, I found it impossible to find prices for most of those panels. JA Solar no problem, there are prices widely available but for the Tier 1 type of panels, I failed to find any.

I also expected better results from Sharp. Yet it has been difficult to get information online for the panel. I had to asked and granted they sent me a comprehensive datasheet within hours (looked like a scan though) but online I could not find any power curve. so I stopped after one panel only.

During the research I came across Meyer Burger (Designed in Switzerland and made in Germany). The most performing panels by far. 0.2% annual degradation, 30y warranty 93.2% and an efficiency of 21.8%. The problem is that they don't go higher than 400W.
1691923441779.png

I hope the table will help people with less knowledge than I to better understand how to compare the panels. Of course, compare what is comparable.

If anyone knows website where I could get prices to canadian and Jinko this would be great (please check before, I have been on ITS and the like and there is no such panel)

@binky would you chose Jinko over Canadian Solar for the Large size panel like me or the Canadian Solar because its 200W/m² is higher? I chose Jinko because of higher efficiency and lower linear degradation as I found the 200W/m² is not that much different.

Thank you

Attachments

• 1691921220895.png
    1691921220895.png
    204.1 KB · Views: 0