Complete electrical illiterate, where to start?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaybee82

Reaction score
Hi there guys, my name's Jason & I've just been served my redundancy notice from Virgin Media. I'm 27 & have been working in a call-centre enviroment now for about four years, and really want to try my hand at something seriously different in-line with what I've been doing work-wise.

I have no idea why at the beginning of the week the idea of electrical work came to me, it's a field I really know nothing about, and even my own dad has said he 'couldn't see me doing it'. Bit of a damning verdict when it comes from your old man, but I like the idea of being on the field & doing some serious grafting, I've really had enough of my ordinary profesion.

What I want to know is where do you go from zero? I've had a conversation with ReactFast & been invited to an open day, the guy gave a pretty good sell down the phone, but have only really relatively scratched the surface of potential courses etc.

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions as to what route to take for my very very first steps. Thanks!

if i was you i would go to collage and do city & guilds 2330 electrical installation.there are a few people on here that have done the crash courses with these on line firms and struggled when it comes to hands on and testing of equipment.that`s only my opinion.

i done the 3 year college course and struggled with the maths side of it but the boys on here have been excellent and helped with every thing i have asked.

you should get it all payed for from your local job centre as well because you are retraining.

if you need to no any thing else just ask and somebody on here will point you in the right direction. hope this helps.

Agreed. Nothing can replace hands on experience. If you had lots of exposure to electircal work already then there may be other options but for a beginner, this is the only way you can be sure you will learn all you really need to.

Sorry to hear about your job with VM.

Ian.

Is this the only real viable way? 3 years seems a lot to commit to, I think I may have been a bit nieve with the expected learning curve, but I doubt I could afford to be out of full time work that long.

Is this the only real viable way? 3 years seems a lot to commit to, I think I may have been a bit nieve with the expected learning curve, but I doubt I could afford to be out of full time work that long.
usually you do something else in the day and re-train at college in the evenings AFAIK

Welcome by the way.

Not a good time to be joining the electrical industry, but in 3 years time things will have picked up and you'll be in a good position. Get a job to pay the bills for a few years whilst training?

Cheers for the feedback so far lads, all seems good advice. Obvious still a little hesitant to go down the college route, was kind of hoping to ease myself in gently to begin with, maybe do a course and put stuff into practice from home, visit a few work-shops etc.

Any alternatives you might suggest?

Can I just also clarify that the general opinion is that crash courses should be ruled out for absolute newbies? ?:|

any trade now at your age will involve college some where down the line.

when things pick up somebody will give you a start but god knows what he will pay you for no experience and no qualifications.they would probably try and pay you peanuts and send you to collage 2 nights a week for three years.

i take it you don`t won`t college full time as you stated you need to work throw the day.

Yes as they have nowhere near enough time to go though the things you need to know.

I sought out the city & guilds 2330 electrical installation course listed above, and it says it's only 1 year in duration? I could manage that. Or is the three years quoted in reference to gaining each level?

where did you get that info from was it the city & guilds web site.1 year can`t be a college course seems a lot to cram in.the only way is to do it hands on you can no all the theory but when you in front of a test rig to inspect totally different.

3 years sounds a long time but college is only on 35 weeks a year.and it fly`s over once you start.

try ringing your local college and see what they have to offer.

Can I just also clarify that the general opinion is that crash courses should be ruled out for absolute newbies? ?:|
The oppinion of many chaps is that the crash courses only really benifit the people running them. They cost you lots of money and although you may gain the qualifications (assuming you are able to absorb lots of very new information very quickly) you lack practical experience.

If you get us as a newly 'qualified' spark after an intensive training course you'd be a danger to yourself and the public. Learn gradually! Build up experience. No-one is trying to put you off being a spark!

They say Year(s) but it isn't much when you think about it.

They are Done Level 2 and Level 3

The Level 1 is for absolute beginners that have absolutely no experience with tools and soldering and that type of stuff.

Welcome to the forum jaybee82, have you tried contacting any local colleges about electrical qualifications? they are normally quite helpful about discussing your current abilities / qualifications and what courses / costs are open to you and how long they take.

Doc H.

Can I be so bold and ask why your old man can't see you being an electrician?

If the answer is "and please don

Hi there guys, my name's Jason & I've just been served my redundancy notice from Virgin Media. I'm 27 & have been working in a call-centre enviroment now for about four years, and really want to try my hand at something seriously different in-line with what I've been doing work-wise.
Hello Jason, welcome to the electrical funny farm!!!Guiness DrinkGuiness Drink:^O

Heres my thoughts...

Electrical work, be it designing, planing, installing, testing, fault finding etc...

All requires some electrical science & theory understanding that you do NOT normally cover in any standard school syllabus.

you say you have been working for VM 4 years? 27-4=23. what were you involved in from 16 - 23?

further education or work, i.e. what other experience might you have gained that is conducive toward electrical qualifications?

If NONE then I would suggest you are being a little naive and possibly belittling all of the qualified electricians who have 3,4 or more years of apprenticeship, on-site training & college under their belts.

In the words of one of the NICEIC info sheets..

It is easy to make a socket work... But harder to make it work SAFELY!

IMHO formal college training wins hands down every time!

I you really are starting from scratch... get onto a full pucka college course.

it WILL pay off in the end.

Guiness Drink

if i was you i would go to collage and do city & guilds 2330 electrical installation.there are a few people on here that have done the crash courses with these on line firms and struggled when it comes to hands on and testing of equipment.that`s only my opinion.i done the 3 year college course and struggled with the maths side of it but the boys on here have been excellent and helped with every thing i have asked.

you should get it all payed for from your local job centre as well because you are retraining.

if you need to no any thing else just ask and somebody on here will point you in the right direction. hope this helps.
I agree they should pay for retraining, but don't believe what Mr Brown and his lackies say, cause the Job Centre will pay for sod all

I manage to finish my electrical 2360 that was 4 years ago i think , but i was not able to finished it because i found a full time job as a chef here in our local hospital , i am working in a rota system so my boss cannot every tuesday off for my college , so i gave up but then i manage to finish the whole year , now , i'm back again to first year in 2330 second level by September.... at your age i would say go to college you wont regret you will have something in the future...

Hello jaybee welcome to the forum. Are you sure you want to be a sparks. It involves crawling about it the most awkward lofts full of disgusting fibreglass and other ****. The only reason I am saying this because I spent 6 hours doing this yesterday rewireing some lighting and I looked like a coal miner when I finished and it was pretty hot too. Any way if you go for it good luck.

Batty