Converting 12V Halogen To Main Gu10 Led

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Lowndes

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post so here goes.

Currently in my kitchen I have 9 x 12v halogen lights that I would like to change to gu 10 led. Each one is attached to it own transformer which is attached to it ownn junction box on a looping system. The junction boxes to each transformer are earthed. I would like to upgrade to mains gu10 and do without the transformers. What is the best method to do this. I have been told that all i have to do is remove the mains from the transformer and wire it into the new fitting. Is this true. Also some of the the fitting show an earth cable. Does this mean I need to run a earth cable from the junction box to the new fitting. Also does the fitting need to be firerated as there is a bedroom above the kitchen. Also can I use any gu10 led bulbs obviously taking into account max wattage of the new fitting.

Any info will be greatfully recieved.

Phil

None of these questions can be 100% accurately answered  without  seeing the job. However,

Fire rated lights may be better but not always necessary.

If using new fittings then follow the manufacturers instructions.

Some fittings are double insulated, not needing an earth, some are not.

Removing the transformer and connecting to the supply connections is correct. All connections and the colour  cores of the cable should be enclosed in a junction box.

Normally the lights are made for max 50W so any Led will do, check the manufacturers instructions.

Unless the old lights are manky caulked in things i simply fit a GU10 lampholder to the existing

If the new lights need an earth  the wiring should also be tested to  ensure  good earth loop readings. Should really be tested anyhow.