Could somebody tell me what this is please?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfog

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a property to which the power has been disconnected. After contacting ENW to reinstate the power they require me to dig a trench on my property in which to route the cable and all that jazz....

In the process of these works I came across this adaptor
1000019460.jpg

Could somebody tell me what it is?
Many thanks

It is a resin cable joint quite often used to extend or repair underground and overground cables, the DNO's use breech or tee versions to connect property supplies

It is a resin cable joint quite often used to extend or repair underground and overground cables, the DNO's use breech or tee versions to connect property supplies
Thank you for the reply,
Do you know if it's likely to house a live cable?
ENWL want £3k to reinstate the electricity and I were kind of hoping the discovery of this adaptor could reduce the cost somewhat.

Thanks

What is the full story? I assume this is a repossession or auction purchase and a renovation project? When was the electricity disconnected and why?

Whether that cable is any use to you depends on the DNO and whether they think it has enough capacity. It may not be as simple as just re connect where it was cut off, other things may have been connected since.

But now you have found this get the DNO to come and have a loo and advise.

Hi all,

I have a property to which the power has been disconnected. After contacting ENW to reinstate the power they require me to dig a trench on my property in which to route the cable and all that jazz....

In the process of these works I came across this adaptor
View attachment 17110

Could somebody tell me what it is?
Many thanks

Golden Rule Number 1

ALWAYS assume something is live dangerous and can kill you until you have proved other wise...

The yellow marker tape suggest it is electrical...

The only electrical wiring in your property that is your responsibility are the meter tails that come into your consumer unit, plus all of the final circuits that exit your consumer unit..

So external cables and joint like this are your DNO's responsibility...
And you will need to contact them to confirm if it is live / dead / safe / dangerous / unknown???