cooker cable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diversity 30% of total load + 10 amps

65 amps x 30%= 19.5 amps + 10 amps = 29.5 amps total load allowing for diversity.

Depending on installation method 6mm cable would be appropriate for the cooker.

according to table 4d2a clipped direct on 10mm can stand 63 amps ref method c thats without insulation or anything around the cable. ref method b in conduit or turnking can only take 52 amps, so no id say 16mm supply needed ;) unless you run armoured 10mm down the kitchen wall to an isolator at ref method c that will take 67 amps, but wont look particulary nice!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is a 10mm cable with a run of 12 meters sufficient for a 15 kilowatt cooker.
Yes but are you talking domestic or industrial? If domestic then the on site guide suggests a 30amp or 32amp circuit is sufficient for a cooker rated up to 15kW. Used to be Appendix 8 think its now called Appendix H. A majority of domestic cookers are happy on a 6.0mm unless buried in a lot of insulation or very long run. You could be wasting money fitting 10.0mm.

Doc H.

Just a minute; what circuit protective devices are

in service? That might have a bearing on the matter.

Pages 49 to 52 of the Part 'P' guide.

HTH

At present the mcb protecting the circuit is a 32amp type b with a 80 amp 63mili amp rcd protecting aswell

80 mA/63A RCD?

I think another look at the consumer unit may be required, as for the cable size we only have the kW data but no length of cable, and reference method of installation so its hard to give a definitive answer as to what is right or wrong.

Just a minute; what circuit protective devices are in service? That might have a bearing on the matter.

Pages 49 to 52 of the Part 'P' guide.

HTH
Isn't that a backwards way to work? The overcurrent protective device should be selected such that is protects the cable rather then the other way round.

Ian, the conductor sizing calculations include a consideration

of the protective device. Have a look at the OSG and you will

see a specific factor to be included IF a re-wirable fuse is used.

This may have a de-rating impact on the conductor and cause

the size to increase.

That is why I asked the question. It is included because of the

longer disconnection time of the re-wirable device under fault

conditions.

The OLD electrician's guide had tables for standard domestic

circuits. It does not alter the fact that this factor, Cf is still in

the new OSG.

Yes but are you talking domestic or industrial? If domestic then the on site guide suggests a 30amp or 32amp circuit is sufficient for a cooker rated up to 15kW. Used to be Appendix 8 think its now called Appendix H. A majority of domestic cookers are happy on a 6.0mm unless buried in a lot of insulation or very long run. You could be wasting money fitting 10.0mm.Doc H.
The diversity calcs may say that, real life doesn't.

At that sort of rating, this is not your average domestic cooker, rather one of those big all electric twin oven 6 hob plate all electric jobbies.

I had one I went to look at because it kept tripping the 32A MCB. I couldn't uprate the MCB due to the long run of 6mm of unknown routing, so had to just advise her how to manually apply diversity, i.e turn one oven on first, wait for it to reach temperature before turning the second oven on etc.