Cooker pat test

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnshiles

Reaction score
A cooker in a property we let has just failed a pat test because the temperature markings have worn away. Is this really a pat test failure? As I can't see how it is actually dangerous. Also we have been advised that the cooker will have to be replaced. Is it not possible to just buy a sticker with numbers on? It seems ridiculous to have to replace an entire cooker just because a few numbers have worn away.

What sort of "cooker"? Is it really a portable appliance with a 13A plug on it? Most built in ovens and hobs are not "portable appliances" and don't need PAT testing.

It's an integrated oven. The house was having an electrical safety inspection, the electrician offered to do a free pat test of any appliances and checked the cooker.

PAT stands for Portable Appliance Test, when did an integrated electric oven become portable?
It didn't, as ProDave points out, it does NOT need testing.

PATest is a bit of an old hat term and whilst the appliance isn't considered 'portable' if you are providing it as part of the agreement then it should be tested for electrical safety.

PATest is a bit of an old hat term and whilst the appliance isn't considered 'portable' if you are providing it as part of the agreement then it should be tested for electrical safety.
Agreed, but I would expect an EICR to test an oven or hob, not a PAT test. And that is testing for electrical safety. Write the worn out numbers on the dial with a permanent marker pen and as long as it is electrically safe that is fine.

Agreed, but I would expect an EICR to test an oven or hob, not a PAT test. And that is testing for electrical safety. Write the worn out numbers on the dial with a permanent marker pen and as long as it is electrically safe that is fine.
I agree I always test any connected appliance as part of the circuit on an EICR but I don't provide separate Certification for it. As you say though the cooker in question does not comprise safety in electrical terms although I wouldn't mind a picture of the issue.

What nonsense! Does he by any chance sell cookers?
Regardless of whether it's portable or not, how is a worn dial hazardous? The greatest risk is overcooking your dinner.

PAT stands for Portable Appliance Test, when did an integrated electric oven become portable?
It didn't, as ProDave points out, it does NOT need testing.
wrong. its 'in service inspection and testing of electrical equipment', which does also include fixed / stationary appliances, not just portable

BS7671 only really concerns with the supply to the appliance, not the appliance, which is why they are covered by appliance testing...

Thanks for all the replies, it makes sense to me that the cooker should be tested for safety, I don't want it to burn the house down or electrocute the tenants. As many of you have said I can't see how worn temperature numbers can be dangerous. We have been sent a picture, but it is too small to actually see anything, so not worth posting. I have asked for it to be sent again. It would be bizarre if a broken element or fan could be fixed, but some worn numbers means a new oven.

Thanks for all the replies, it makes sense to me that the cooker should be tested for safety, I don't want it to burn the house down or electrocute the tenants. As many of you have said I can't see how worn temperature numbers can be dangerous. We have been sent a picture, but it is too small to actually see anything, so not worth posting. I have asked for it to be sent again. It would be bizarre if a broken element or fan could be fixed, but some worn numbers means a new oven.

The bloke is a twat in my opinion..
talking a combination of gibberish and total b077o*ks!!!!

Have a read of this on line guide..
especially section 6.
https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.o...ndlords-guide-england-and-wales-june-2020.pdf

A primary function of both electrical inspections and in service appliance checks are to minimise the risk of electric shock, injury or fatality..
numbers missing can easily be remedied with a suitable label maker..

No different to a consumer unit where none of the MCB's have any circuit descriptions..
you would NOT fit a new consumer unit..
you would just get it labelled up appropraitely!

obvs if the numbers are getting sharpie’d on, you only really need ‘200’ on there - save the ink.

Most cooker knobs are replaceable and are usually a push fit. And are cheaper than a new oven!