CORGI question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is nothing to do with dogs ,Patch.( Patch !! I don't believe I said that!!)

Picking up on M107,s call out .

Can Sparkies work on gas appliances when not GORGI registered. I've been asked by plumbers for a power supply and a room stat. The plumber saying he can't do the electrics.

As they asked M107 , can we mess with airflow s and fan assisted flues and safety circuits. I read that a builder who insisted on fitting gas fires when not GORGI has recieved a prison sentence.

Not sure. I mean we fix boilers but we dont actually touch the gas pipework do we, but does it constitute the boiler its self ?

Where is the line drawn, its one of those 'how far do you go' things.

This is nothing to do with dogs ,Patch.( Patch !! I don't believe I said that!!)Picking up on M107,s call out .

Can Sparkies work on gas appliances when not GORGI registered. I've been asked by plumbers for a power supply and a room stat. The plumber saying he can't do the electrics.

As they asked M107 , can we mess with airflow s and fan assisted flues and safety circuits. I read that a builder who insisted on fitting gas fires when not GORGI has recieved a prison sentence.
Anyone can work on a boiler system BUT ARE NOT ALLOWED TO WORK ON THE GAS SIDE of the boiler unless CORGI registered which is changing in April, when a new organisation is takeing over the running of gas installers.

You can put the electrical supply in, hook up the boiler to it and test it as you are a Part P registered sparks.

The CORGI registered plumber can put the gas supply in, hook up the boiler to it and test it. Some plumbers have become Part P so the don't have to call out a sparks when fitting a boiler.

The controls are not gas, but I wouldn't meddle with these personnally. However replacing a fan is electro-mechanical so would undertake it if I felt happy I knew what was safe to do, but would want plumber to check for air-leaks/ fumes afterwards. Its a bit like electrics - you need the approprate test gear to verfiy safety, and you are more open to prosecution the more you are involved. Also consider the cost of messing it up?????

Forgot to answer the question - if it doesn't involve live gas pipework you don't have to be corgi, at least that's the way I understand it. So basically you could install the pipework for a complete gas installation including fitting the boiler, but only corgi can connect the gas supply.

I was working on a house refurb a while ago. The client says we are going to turn the water cylinder cupboard into a shower cubicle, would I come back tomorrow to do the electrics ? Yes. had a quick look in the floor space by cylinder, three 10 way heating connecting boxes, loads of cables got to be moved.

I'll come in the morning ,number them up and divert them. Come the morning , plumber is there , cut all the wires off , pulled them out of his way, you're the sparks ,you can sort it. I took one look at the very expensive gas fire with C/heating boiler behind it, picked up the crown jewels and told the plumber it was now his problem ! To ****** that up would be a big bill on my desk, no thanks.

I was working on a house refurb a while ago. The client says we are going to turn the water cylinder cupboard into a shower cubicle, would I come back tomorrow to do the electrics ? Yes. had a quick look in the floor space by cylinder, three 10 way heating connecting boxes, loads of cables got to be moved. I'll come in the morning ,number them up and divert them. Come the morning , plumber is there , cut all the wires off , pulled them out of his way, you're the sparks ,you can sort it. I took one look at the very expensive gas fire with C/heating boiler behind it, picked up the crown jewels and told the plumber it was now his problem ! To ****** that up would be a big bill on my desk, no thanks.
Serves him right what a plonker.

Batty

Yes a right plonker !! One of those guys who think they are so important, I'm a busy man , no time for cables in MY way, can't be bothered with other trades, no one should get in MY way because I'm so bloody self important, I'M A PLUMBER !!

Bet we've all met 'em I 'spose, but don't they spoil a job when every one,s getting on with each other ?

Deke