Couple questions

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sm91

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls,

I just wanted to ask a couple questions, hopefully won't be shot down in flames haha.

I was looking to pay for the city and guilds 2365 level 2 and 3. As well as C&G 2392-10 Level 2 Certificate in Fundamental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification.

Now I have seen plenty of times questions asked about the courses. I do not think I'm gonna jump on a course and suddenly have the knowledge of a fully qualified electrician. Nor do I even want to run before I can walk. My plan was to complete these courses then look to work as an electricians mate? In order to gain experience and with the hope of impressing someone enough in the future to be kept on. Then moving forward in the future to complete the nvq level 3. As I said though I am under no illusions that it can be rushed. I'm not in any rush either I would rather gain as much experience as possible.

I have helped a friend out in the past basically as a labourer. Was chasing out walls and fitting back boxes. That's about it as far as experience goes other than general site labourer. I have one or two friends who are electricians, who I am confident will let me help them to gain experience as an electricians mate. After paying out for the course my savings would probably allow me to work 3 months unpaid. So was going to ask them and can't see them saying no to an extra pair of hands for free.

My question is would that be enough time for me then to be able to apply for jobs as an electricians mate online? Happy to do that and crack on with gaining more experience. Then as I say in the future hope to impress someone enough to be able to carry on with them and gain the nvq level 3. I understand it could take a few years working as a mate for that to happen buts its not an issue for me.

The NVQ May come within the lvl 3 you mention, check with college etc. Not sure if they provide the AM2 exam with it, again ask college etc. 

After the three months of working for pals, providing they actually teach you something then you should easily find work as a mate via an agency would be best bet initially, as they do not really care about your level of skill merely the fact that they are providing someone. It will be about you to impress whoever they send you too. But that’s a way off at the minute so worry about that nearer the time. 

The NVQ May come within the lvl 3 you mention, check with college etc. Not sure if they provide the AM2 exam with it, again ask college etc. 

After the three months of working for pals, providing they actually teach you something then you should easily find work as a mate via an agency would be best bet initially, as they do not really care about your level of skill merely the fact that they are providing someone. It will be about you to impress whoever they send you too. But that’s a way off at the minute so worry about that nearer the time. 

Thanks for the reply. I will be working with my mates, not just p****** around. Gets on my nerves when you see people on sites playing with their phone or just doing nothing. The courses aren't with a college but with a training centre. They do mention the am2 test on there, think when you book to do your nvq level 3 with them, if I remember correctly. Course that's building up a portfolio and is a long way away yet.

For now I'd be happy knowing if I take those courses and get a few months experience. I would then be in a position to apply for jobs and earn a pound note while gaining experience. Like I say, the hope is to prove myself a good worker. Then be in a position where I have got experience and someone helping out with teaching on the job. Then apply to do my nvq level 3 and build a portfolio. I am not expecting that to happen in a matter of months though. Makes me laugh when I see people thinking they can just take a course and be qualified within a year. From all I have read experience is king so be keen to get plenty of it. I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

Thanks

What training centre? Many have a reputation as rip off merchants.

I’m sorry but many of the older members on here served four or five year apprenticeships and I don’t think any of us have stopped learning.

That said, we will help as and when we can.

Latest posts