D70 Lamp

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenveg

Reaction score
I have been trying to find a replacement D70 lamp for my doorbell push. The doorbell is quite a few years old, and it works fine. Everywhere I look it says no longer available. Is there an equivalent lamp. Below is a picture of the D70 lamp.
1641721479345.png

Have a look in a car spares shop at the smallest of the festoon interior lamps. You might just get away with it. I had these bell pushes in the past but can't remember just how large the lamps are.

MIght be easier to just change the bell push
Just saying, the bell push will still work without the lamp. (So no need to change it)

I guess it is fair to say that the D70 lamp is obsolete, which is why you can not find one (Several places I looked at said Obsolete) and with the advent of video doorbells, no demand for said lamp.

I did however find another bell push that illuminates from a company called Byron, the reviews say It's awkward to open, has cheap screws, but all said it does work, once you manage to open it and fix it. One place I found said works with any doorbell, another said works with any Byron doorbell. It costs less than £4, some folk said it fell apart (I guess they undid the screws too much) I have tried Byron stuff, you can tell it's cheap.

My doorbell button does not illuminate, but has a laminated note next to it, pointing at it, it with the words "press" clearly showing, when pressed the "doorbell" does work but what do I get? People still knock at the door, and since I don't have a door knocker...........

Just saying, the bell push will still work without the lamp. (So no need to change it)

I guess it is fair to say that the D70 lamp is obsolete, which is why you can not find one (Several places I looked at said Obsolete) and with the advent of video doorbells, no demand for said lamp.

I did however find another bell push that illuminates from a company called Byron, the reviews say It's awkward to open, has cheap screws, but all said it does work, once you manage to open it and fix it. One place I found said works with any doorbell, another said works with any Byron doorbell. It costs less than £4, some folk said it fell apart (I guess they undid the screws too much) I have tried Byron stuff, you can tell it's cheap.

My doorbell button does not illuminate, but has a laminated note next to it, pointing at it, it with the words "press" clearly showing, when pressed the "doorbell" does work but what do I get? People still knock at the door, and since I don't have a door knocker...........

Screwfix sell this one.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/blyss-wired-doorbell-bell-push-black/293hf#_=pRoughly same size, and it says illuminated. I guess that it will be a different kind of lamp. It also says 2 wire, which ii the same as mine. Is it just a matter of swapping the wires over.

Just saying, for £3.00 its in the same category as the Byron ones, seems to have similar problems too.

Just saying, for £3.00 its in the same category as the Byron ones, seems to have similar problems too.
I have managed to purchase a pair of D70 lamps. I placed the lamp in position, but it does not light. I have tested the lamp with a multi meter, and it is ok. It seems that it is just causing the bell to chime without pressing the button. Am I doing something wrong.

Assuming you have not changed the doorbell and or the transformer (In other words, previously the lamp did illuminate and the doorbell operated when the doorbell button was pressed) the lamp you have is NOT a D70, if it was a D70 it would illuminate.

Assuming you have not changed the doorbell and or the transformer (In other words, previously the lamp did illuminate and the doorbell operated when the doorbell button was pressed) the lamp you have is NOT a D70, if it was a D70 it would illuminate.
I had my bungalow completely rewired a few weeks ago. The electrician fitted a Deta C3504 Mains Voltage Door Chime With Built in Transformer. He left the original push button in situ, as it would be better to do this than to fit the push button that came with the new bell, as it would mean fitting a different size push button, altering the door frame trim, sealant etc. The old doorbell had a separate transformer. I don't know if this new doorbell has an illuminated push button, I cannot see anything in the details description. I have looked with a magnifying glass at the lamp, and it is stamped Friedland

I wouldn't assume that chime will work with an illuminated push unless it says so; which with a quick scan I don't think it does.
I suspect you have also just proved it won't, so sorry, but take out the lamp and forget about illuminating the push.

The electrician fitted a Deta C3504 Mains Voltage Door Chime With Built in Transformer.
It would seem that the lamps you have are probably genuine, but the fact you have changed the doorbell and transformer is the reason it does not work. 😞