dangerous or not

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badfish

Reaction score
This was a meter in a garage. Meter was removed but SE said that it will be 5 days before they remove the service head an cable. There is no roof and is open to the elements. I phone saying that it is dangerous and that it needs to be sorted today. They phoned back saying that the engineer said there was no danger.

What do you chaps think?

There were meant to be photos but they did not upload.

Not acceptable in my opinion.

Its not to IP44, no use outside.

but it's only "outside" because somebody has take the roof off. Wouldn't it have been a GOOD idea to leave the roof ON until the old supply had been removed completely?

When the meter was taken out the builders were told that the supply would be removed within 24hrs so builder took roof of next day expecting engineer to turn up. Guess who never arrived. Many calls later they were told they have to wait 5 days. I came on site today then phoned SE telling them there was no roof but they seem to think it is ok.

I still think it's the builder's fault.

Even if they were told it would only be 24 hours, they should not have taken the roof off and left it exposed to the weather like that.

How many times have WE been delayed because the builder didn't do something when he said he would. It would do them good to find out what it's like to wait because somebody let them down.

Last edited by a moderator:
DNO issue, they mucked up not getting there when they said they would, report it to them as a dangerous condition, citing their recordings of the phone calls and telling them if they don't deal with it immediately, then you will be reporting it to HSE due to their gross negligence.

You have to remember that when dealing with any DNO most of the people you may speak to are not aware of anything, be brave and stand up to them and remind them of your duty and their duty, if they are failing in their duties do what Sidewinder said in his post above.

You have to remember that when dealing with any DNO most of the people you may speak to are not aware of anything, be brave and stand up to them and remind them of your duty and their duty, if they are failing in their duties do what Sidewinder said in his post above.
But what duty are the DNO failing?

Someone requested the supply was removed. They removed the meter but didn't meet their appointment to remove the cable.

So they have failed some customer charter perhaps for not keeping to an appointment?

But did ANYONE tell them the roof was going to be removed on a specific date and their equipment MUST be removed by that date or it will be open to the elements?

Has anyone told them since that it's open to the element?

It sounds the me like all they know is they have to remove an unwanted supply. The engineer, when questioned, probably told them it was safe, because last time he saw it, there was a roof above it.

Now if you phoned them and TOLD them it's open to the elements and they still refused to come out, THEN I would agree the DNO are wrong.

I STILL think the builder was wrong to take the roof off until it was SAFE to take the roof off.

I think I agree with pro Dave that the roof should not have come off but when I phoned the DNO I told them it was open to the elements. It was after this that they phoned me back and told me that they consider it safe.

Dave I would normally agree with you, as said the roof should not have been removed. However if a report was given after it was removed then the DNO do have a duty of care to remove the supply. It would also be conceivable that they would charge a fee to do so simply because the danger was not invoked by themselves but the builder who removed the roof.

I hope that makes more sense of what I did mean to say.

IF the DNO said they would disconnect the supply on x/y/z then they are duty bound to do so.

How is the builder to know that the incomer has not been cut at the tee and the whole thing is dead, in which case there were no issues in removing the roof.

The fault lies with the DNO not doing as they agreed to do, end of.

Just put part of the roof back on. No need for all of it Just a few planks or a tied down tarp.

One job that i am doing at the moment the roof has been taken of but the builder has built a box round meter and temp supplies so it is waterproof lucky really after all the rain we are getting.

If you feel that it's unsafe, record your findings. Then make safe by enclosing it. This eliminates the risk. Now sit down and write the DNO a letter attaching your photos, describing the order of events telephone calls dates times etc. ask them to explain their actions and suggest that you intend to take this further, the Hse perhaps. Send this by email as recognised as legal document. Then see how quick they move. Remember to keep the letter brief but to the point.