DI or AC?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gselectrical

Reaction score
Afternoon all. Was just wondering what the main differances are between registering with the NICEIC as a Domestic Installer or as an Approved Contractor. I know Approved Contractors can issue NICEIC PIR's, but else what can an AC do that a DI cant? Cheers. J

I think an AC can work on commercial properties, whereas a DI can't.

If you go to their website : www.niceic.com

and look under the heading "contractor", the 2nd option is "niceic schemes".

Click there, and they`ll give you the differences - note that DI has 2 distinct levels -A & B.

If you`re only going to do domestic, and don`t envisage doing any council or large housing assoc. work, DI should be fine.

Some, though not all councils and HAs will only accept work from ACs, even though a DI is technically capable of the work. There has been prior discussion of this, the upshot being that, as customers, they can ask for whatever standards they want!

HTH

KME

n.b. If you register as an AC, and do domestic works, you MUST also register with them for DI; otherwise you don`t get into the building control notification site.

KME (Approved Contractor).

Not all, no.

I know ECA covers ind / comm, and I think maybe napit do too......check their website(s) maybe.

However, as has been said before, NIC is the "industry standard", the largest & most well known of the lot ( and that`s not saying much!).

This was our reason for going with them, as well as the fact that, although some commercial companies will specify NICEIC contractors only, the same cannot be said any of the other scammers. I.E. you are definetely not going to be barred from applying for a job if you`re NIC.

HTH

KME

Thanks all. Im currently registered as a DI, but intend on becoming an AC next year. I take it the jobs you get assesed on have to be of a commercial nature then? J

is this correct as it may sound silly but...

if u sign up to become a DI there is nothing stopping you carrying out commerical and industrial work... even though ur not with NIC AC...

is this correct as it may sound silly but... if u sign up to become a DI there is nothing stopping you carrying out commerical and industrial work... even though ur not with NIC AC...
The only thing that stops you is customers or insurers only wanting NIC EIC approved sparks.

but for joe bloggs who owns a shop or a garage then you only have to be 'competent' to do and test the work.

Thanks all. Im currently registered as a DI, but intend on becoming an AC next year. I take it the jobs you get assesed on have to be of a commercial nature then? J
Not particularly. If you`ve got a commercial or industrial available, they may want to look at it :) If you haven`t they`ll just look at what you have done recently.

The assessment is MUCH more thorough (I`ve got my renewal next week), and you are expected to have a much better understanding of the work than a DI.

Cost difference: I think its about

Latest posts