Dimplex CXLS12N not storing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillBrum

Reaction score
Hi all

One of my storage heaters is not charging overnight. I took the front panel off to see if the reset button had popped, but unfortunately it was not that. My next check was the elements, but I can't see any breaks in them. There are two things I have noticed, but I don't believe that either has anything to do with the lack of power. One is the cracked housing you will see in pic 5. The other is that the element on the right plugs into a terminal housing that seems a little loose. The wires that go in and out of that terminal block seem sound, though.

I've attached some pics in the hope that one of you chaps will be able to advise me. All help gratefully received.

Regards

BillBrum

01 med.jpg

02 med.jpg

03 med.jpg

04 med.jpg

05 med.jpg

Hi allOne of my storage heaters is not charging overnight. I took the front panel off to see if the reset button had popped, but unfortunately it was not that. My next check was the elements, but I can't see any breaks in them. There are two things I have noticed, but I don't believe that either has anything to do with the lack of power. One is the cracked housing you will see in pic 5. The other is that the element on the right plugs into a terminal housing that seems a little loose. The wires that go in and out of that terminal block seem sound, though.

I've attached some pics in the hope that one of you chaps will be able to advise me. All help gratefully received.

Regards

BillBrum
Have you checked for a bad connection in the DP switch supplying the storage heater?... and/ or checked for supply (if off peak is activated) or put L/N to earth at the DB and confirmed continuity at the DP switch. You may well have checked this already, it's just something else to eliminate from your fault finding checks.

Is there a supply to the DP switch? Obviously won't be there if off-peak supply is not on. Is the MCB / fuse wire for heater tripped/ blown? maybe a good place to start. Has the cable to heater been damaged?

Sorry to repaeat above we posted at the same time!

Hi Bill

Do you have any form of test meter available, even a multi meter with ohms setting?

If so with the wall switch OFF what ohms reading do you get across the heater L and N terminals at the main incoming flex termination block?

For your heater this should be around 32 ohms or so.

If you get that then the heater is OK.

Do you have other storage heaters?

If so make sure they are turned ON and Input thermostat turned fully up.

During the daytime when not energised, switch ON the faulty heater at the wall. First Check NO VOLTAGE is present.

What reading do you get now at the same terminal block in your faulty heater?

If circuit is healthy then your meter should "see" the other heaters in parrellel and you will get a much LOWER ohm reading dependant on how many of them.

If reading is the same then you have a faulty circuit from the Off Peak Consumer Unit, which as others have said could be the Switch, Fuse or cable fault.