Dirty electricity

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louisIV

Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm just a student, so I will gladly profess my ignorance here :0)

I've just seen a link to a Canadian TV news programme that referred to CFLs being the cause of radiation that has harmful effects on health. I looked for other links, but cannot find any science! All there seems to be are reports of unspecified 'studies' pointing to this or that harmful effect.

When I googled, the first three pages of search returns were all cross-quotes on sites ranging from consumer organisations to new-age woo sites. Everything is poorly explained, but I gather the 'argument' is that CFLs emit strong electromagnetic fields in radio frequencies that can 'penetrate our bodies' and also be induced into the supply to 'dirty' it up with lots of high frequency harmonics.

So does anyone know anything about this? First of all, do CFLs produce this HF or RF radiation? If so, does it get induced back into the main's supply, and are there any studies that conclusively show that there are any unhealthy effects?

What if anything can be done to clean up the supply (if need be)?

LIV

I think the reason you struggled to find details is down yet another crack pot new age pseudo science report, I'd be more concerned about what's inside the lamp

i thought CFL were high frequency, how could that do u harm, but the most dangerous thing about them was the mercury they contained.

I got to page six on the google search and found a reasonably sober article, but still not much more than vague claims. Some links to studies, but all were very small, and nothing in a big peer reviewed publication. The article did mention the mercury inside each lamp, which is a problem if you break one of course.

Bah. I was just curious to see if anyone had come across this before. Seems to be "yet another crack pot new age pseudo science report" as Robojin put it so well :yawn Time for bed.

Next they will be worrying about the sky falling in on them!!!