Don't mess with metering equipment!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voltimax

©CAHAGIYTYHE™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

At the beginning of the week I went back to a property where the following week I had completed the first fix to a small extension.

The customer didn't want any carpets and floorboards removing, so asked if a supply cable could be run on the outside of the building as inconspicuous as possible. So I opted for an SWA surface mounted out of the way.

Anyway, I had to drill through a wall to gain access into a very small room which housed the metering equipment, in order to get to the consumer unit mounted in the house. This is what I found when I entered the small room.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/Voltimax/DSC00021.jpg

Here's a closer look.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/Voltimax/DSC00022.jpg

And this is what happened when I got hold of it!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/Voltimax/DSC00023.jpg

Now you'll notice there's a single pole service block there with 3 tails in it. Three years ago an electrician was invited to the property to install a new circuit for an electric shower. You can't see in the pics, but above the meter is a shower consumer unit. Originally the brown meter tail was connected directly into the meter. The electrician cut the seals to the meter and disconnected it. He then installed that lose tail from the meter into that single pole service block, connected the brown tail (consumer unit) into it also and then connected a third tail to the new shower consumer unit. He then put another seal onto the meter.

Well obviously this electrician has very weak wrists! I had to get Siemans out to sort out this mess since it was a fire waiting to happen, when the guy came out he proceeded to pull out every cable the electrician had installed by hand! He didn't need any tools, he also noted the seals as not being the ones they install. The same electrician had installed a new consumer unit, and when I installed my new circuit, I checked the terminations in it. Well the cooker cable was just sitting in there loose with lots of copper showing and every single terminal in that board was loose!

Guess what? The fool even left his name etc on a sticker in the flap, so Siemans know who to go and prosecute (maybe) now. He's registered under a scheme and he left certificates etc. What a total moron.

so he has also opened the head up to connect the neutral and the earth straight in??!!

so he has also opened the head up to connect the neutral and the earth straight in??!!
Yes Wozz, he'd opened up everything. The man from Siemens was not best pleased. I think that contractor is soon going to be having a bad time.

Evening all,At the beginning of the week I went back to a property where the following week I had completed the first fix to a small extension.

The customer didn't want any carpets and floorboards removing, so asked if a supply cable could be run on the outside of the building as inconspicuous as possible. So I opted for an SWA surface mounted out of the way.

Anyway, I had to drill through a wall to gain access into a very small room which housed the metering equipment, in order to get to the consumer unit mounted in the house. This is what I found when I entered the small room.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/Voltimax/DSC00021.jpg

Here's a closer look.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/Voltimax/DSC00022.jpg

And this is what happened when I got hold of it!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/Voltimax/DSC00023.jpg

Now you'll notice there's a single pole service block there with 3 tails in it. Three years ago an electrician was invited to the property to install a new circuit for an electric shower. You can't see in the pics, but above the meter is a shower consumer unit. Originally the brown meter tail was connected directly into the meter. The electrician cut the seals to the meter and disconnected it. He then installed that lose tail from the meter into that single pole service block, connected the brown tail (consumer unit) into it also and then connected a third tail to the new shower consumer unit. He then put another seal onto the meter.

Well obviously this electrician has very weak wrists! I had to get Siemans out to sort out this mess since it was a fire waiting to happen, when the guy came out he proceeded to pull out every cable the electrician had installed by hand! He didn't need any tools, he also noted the seals as not being the ones they install. The same electrician had installed a new consumer unit, and when I installed my new circuit, I checked the terminations in it. Well the cooker cable was just sitting in there loose with lots of copper showing and every single terminal in that board was loose!

Guess what? The fool even left his name etc on a sticker in the flap, so Siemans know who to go and prosecute (maybe) now. He's registered under a scheme and he left certificates etc. What a total moron.
thats an appaling install

Probably a 5DW:^O
or a time served sparky

who cant get any industrial/commercial work

so has a go at domestic

cr@ps himself cos he doesnt know what hes doing

and gets out quick !!!!!! X(

Thats an awful install, when doing a job i always think what would another spark think of what ive just done, looking at that all you guys would love my work haha

The electrician is a registered NICEIC domestic installer. It may surprise you to learn he is also trustmark approved :eek:
and NICEIC got his money for their 5 day course so what do they care.?

We aint all like that.
sorry nutsy,

but , Im sure you arent all like that,

I still need to be convinced otherwise,

today I have just replaced 4 MEBs on gas/water cos I could actually turn the clamps by hand, and without even pushing hard, index finger only, one of them the cable fell out of as well.

yes, I know they were 5DW cos subbies and I have already raised my concerns about them.

I wont go into the rest of the work ATM.

sorry nutsy,but , Im sure you arent all like that,

I still need to be convinced otherwise,

today I have just replaced 4 MEBs on gas/water cos I could actually turn the clamps by hand, and without even pushing hard, index finger only, one of them the cable fell out of as well.

yes, I know they were 5DW cos subbies and I have already raised my concerns about them.

I wont go into the rest of the work ATM.
No probs mate, just do get a bit tired of the ****ging off we get at times.

Some are good and some are s**t but thats in all trades as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can only guess that whoever did the job only had the one single pole Henley with them.

And is a complete moron.