Dual Boot Ssd

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont have anything on this lappie,

been a while since I got removed from the 'office' ,

I had tried a few on that PC and AFAICR it was virtualbox I ended up using, as being the easiest for me to get on with,

but, it got hardly any use, used XP for jailbreaking an iPhone, and updating some stuff on my old cablebox, that was about it tbh.

Canoeboy said:
Depends if your doing a dual boot but these are two i have done recently

1. MAC Book Pro - 500GB to 1TB SSD - Clone old disk to new with CCC - fit new disk - Jobs Done

2. Windows 7 Laptop - Old Disk 250GB with some bad sectors flagging up and sometimes not booting - new disk 500GB SSD - Clone old disk to new disk using CloneZilla (LiveCD) - Fit new disk - Jobs a good un

Both were very easy
Been tempted to put 1TB in my laptop.I use Acronis True Image, and take an image every Saturday, my thoughts were using a Sata to usb adapter and inserting SSD on it, do image of HD to SSD, then remove HD and replace with SSD, I assume restoring the MBR also.

However I've read that you will need to make the SSD bootable, but I thought that was the MBR, so have I got this right ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally! Just put the SSD in..........only got Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit on at the mo though. Once running is really quick. But......the pc has always been dead slow to boot up which I've only just looked into why and it appears to be a compatibility issue between the mobo, an ASUS M2N-E SLI and the graphics card a 1GB Radeon HD6770. Seemingly a BIOS update on the mobo should cure it but not sure if I can do this under Win 7.............ASUS site only suggests for up to Vista 64-bit?

Could I maybe install this VM thing and do that way?

Tired and a couple of tinnies means I'm giving up for tonight!  Guinness

TBH, I would not be tempted to do a BIOS flash via a VM!
OK, not sure what to do now...........there is a BIOS update available (v1205 I think) but the drop down for the OS doesn't list Win7???

.......If I now put Ubuntu on could I do it that way I wonder? The ASUS site does list "Linux".

All done with updated BIOS and dual booting though have to sort to get Win 7 booting first as the wife moans about Ubuntu! Might try and sway her with WINE!

Boots much faster now with the new BIOS which was mainly to fix Radeon card issues. Said it was for an HD 5570 but works just fine with the 6770 card.

here is the easiest method that ive found, and works great with linux and windows.

1:first install linux.

1A:this is VERY important; make sure to tell GRUB/LiLo to install onto the OS partition that ubuntu inhabits. this allows you to chain load the boot loaders, while leaving the windows boot loader to itself (this also works if windows is installed already, but BE CAREFUL).

2:install windows. it should see the linux partition and automatically configure the bootloader to work with GRUB/LiLo.

2B:if windows was already installed before you installed ubuntu, the windows bootloader will need configuring. you should be able to use a graphical tool to do this, EasyBCD being a good one.

of course, 120GB is a little limited, one thing i suggest is mounting another harddrive as the users folder in the windows root drive. this allows windows, and the programs installed on the ssd, to utilise the ssd, but keeps it free of your pictures/movies/music, while giving you more storage for your profile.

the only thing i would be concerned about is that most ssd tools, and a lot of ssd features dont work from linux. the utilities that are made by OCZ for example, are exclusively for windows, and i dont personally know whether TRIM, garbage collection, and wear leveling work on linux.

also, be sure that defragmentation is disabled for the ssd in windows, as it is unnecessary, and will actually shorten its life.

i hope this helps someone, since thats what its for :)

Last edited by a moderator: