Earth continuity code

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparkJ

Reaction score
Problem during PIR. The downstairs ring main has no earth continuity. The earthing is TT. Zs for the circuit comes in at 6.71

The RCD for the circuit disconnects at 25.8ms on 30ma.

Is this a code 1 or code 2?

id say code 2 for no earth cont if your meaning ene to end, but rcd test is fine.

sure others with more experience will give better answers.

cheers wayne

how do you get a Zs if no continuity?

are you simply taking a reading at every outlet and recording the highest?

wondering how you are relating this to your R1 R2 result.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:14 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:12 ----------

BTW, for me on a PIR no CPC continuity would be a code 1, no L or N continuity would be a code 2.

For me on a PIR no ring continuity on the earth conductor would be a code 2... so long as you could measure a R1+R2 at each and every socket

if you were not able to measure a R1+R2 at any socket then it'd be a code 1

For me on a PIR no ring continuity on the earth conductor would be a code 2... so long as you could measure a R1+R2 at each and every socketif you were not able to measure a R1+R2 at any socket then it'd be a code 1
and the E conductor would still be able to carry the fault current.?

Not without damaging the cable,, but it probably wouldCode 1's are only for immediately dangerous problems.. IMHO this is not immediately dangerous
so a cable that isnt capable of carrying the current it is required to is acceptable?

IMO, no earth is immediately dangerous, do you know it is at ever point?

30amps on a 1.5(maximum) cable, it may even be 1mm and it will still be able to carry the fault current from a 30amp 3036? this is pie in the sky stuff, and you still think its only a code 2.?

qualified and competency still has a long way to go.

I would code a break in ring con on L or N as a code 1, the breaker then exceeds the cable rating.

for non ring con for CPC I would also code as a 1, allthought as I put forward in another thread, is there any difference between a 4mm with 1.5 earth on a 32A or a 2.5 ring L+N with 1.5 radial cpc on a 32A, so some could argue a code 2.

I would code it 3 requires further investigation

now that throws a spanner in the works

I would code it 3 requires further investigation now that throws a spanner in the works
Cannot be, IMO, you've found whats at fault, just not where it is.

I use code 3's for instances where I cannot get a result, such as IR testing in a board where I can't safely disconnect the netruals due to them not being in any order at all. Or when not being able to access a fitting without damaging.

I think we need to agree to disagree Steps..

I've stated my thoughts and backed them up with published material which was written by so called "experts" - they were even more lenient than I would be

I do understand your thoughts and reasoning though mate

I think we need to agree to disagree Steps..I've stated my thoughts and backed them up with published material which was written by so called "experts" - they were even more lenient than I would be

I do understand your thoughts and reasoning though mate
NOZ,

Im an arguementative git,

I know that, I only say things how I see them,

we all have an opinion.

maybe I just state mine a little loudly sometimes,

Having your opinion is one thing. But you should be prepared to back it up.

Now I've expressed the opinion that I agree with the ESC guidance, it is after all published by our "superiors" to guide us. Also the adiabatic says a 1.5mm cpc is okay on a 32A breaker. And code 2 still gives an unsatisfactory on a PIR.

I take your point about the possibility of a 1.0mm cpc - the PIR should throw this up if it's there.

Nevertheless there is no need to be personal and accuse me of incompetancy (post #10). I take exception to that and demand an apology.

Having your opinion is one thing. But you should be prepared to back it up.Now I've expressed the opinion that I agree with the ESC guidance, it is after all published by our "superiors" to guide us. Also the adiabatic says a 1.5mm cpc is okay on a 32A breaker. And code 2 still gives an unsatisfactory on a PIR.

I take your point about the possibility of a 1.0mm cpc - the PIR should throw this up if it's there.

Nevertheless there is no need to be personal and accuse me of incompetancy (post #10). I take exception to that and demand an apology.
so you know enough about the install that proves 1.0mm is adequate,?

I didnt insult you, just people that think a qualification makes them competent, if that is you then I offer no apology whatsoever,

no-one in that situation deserves, or has earned one, when they have some competency then they will be able to shoot me down without simply referring to a book, and yes, it happens regularly here,

even plumber bangs me, we even have a vet puts me in my place,

not to mention men of the cloth, (BL***y id***s) but Im still waiting to be proved wrong by a wonderkid after he has quoted his page of the day.

PC, I dont know your history, but please dont quote a reg to me, leave it at that and expect an apology for something that you have took exception to when I have neither stated youy nor argued your opinion on,

guides are simply that, and guides can be tore apart by anyone that wants to take the time to do so.

Okay:

Adrian has a valid point (my initial thoughts, on reading the O/P, were code 2/3). It DOES require further investigation, to determine where the break occurs.

If I had enough time on site; expecting the fault to be a loose cpc in a socket; I`d locate and resolve - it won`t take very long, FCOL.

There is also the issue that, if you couldn`t get an end-to-end continuity on the ring, you shouldn`t have done any further tests on that circuit, as they`re meaningless.

Albert: Sorry mate, but unless one of the socket outlets has no earth continuity at all, it must be a code 2. I couldn`t envisage giving a code 1 for that, under any other circumstance mate. Sorry.

Once you find the FIRST ring circuit test gives a fault; you either resolve the problem, or "lim" every other test on the circuit.

KME

Latest posts