East West system two inverters two batteries ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bladerunner, sorry this is a little off topic.

Do the Givenergy inverters work with other people's batteries?
I don't know MrJ, I have not checked, their batteries are v.close to pylontech voltage though IIRC. I too like the idea of using them as they appear to be more british

that's new to the range, not seen that unit before. Only trouble with Solaredge is you are tied to expensive batteries, LG Chem I think, which are very nice, but offend my liking of 'value for money' 😃
indeed, mine too! I seem to remember a link to some aussie tests done on batteries which Johnb2713 provided which put me off LG batteries somewhat, but can't remember now if they were the HV ones

Yes, just seen this for the first time today too, BAT-05K48, but brochure indicates optimised for used with a three-phase inverter😒 perhaps we'll see other compatible inverters?

says "Optimized storage solution for SolarEdge Home Hub Inverter - Three Phase with Backup"
The SolarEdge Energy Bank offers a high voltage, DC-coupled storage solution, optimised to integrate with the existing SolarEdge residential system. In addition to the gain in efficiency associated with high voltage DC storage - due to efficient DC-DC conversion and no DC-AC changes - by optimising the Energy Bank specifically for SolarEdge inverters and StorEdge interfaces, the system is able to maximise storage of solar generated power.

A SolarEdge integrated storage solution means that PV generation, storage, EV charging and smart device control will all be managed and monitored on one platform - the SolarEdge app - for both smoother installations and ease of use by the resident.

The Energy Bank comes with a 10 year warranty, with a minimum of 70% capacity at the end of the warranty period after an unlimited number of discharges - for more warranty information please see the Warranty download on the right.

Features:​

• Currently only compatible with SetApp Enabled 1ph HD Wave inverters, from 2,200 - 10,000.
  • DC coupled - high effiency and no G99 application required if using a G98 compliant inverter
  • Super quick installation - just DC cables from inverter to battery (comms are wireless)
  • Extremely flexible installation - battery can be 50m from the inverter and outdoors

Yes, just seen this for the first time today too, BAT-05K48, but brochure indicates optimised for used with a three-phase inverter😒 perhaps we'll see other compatible inverters?

says "Optimized storage solution for SolarEdge Home Hub Inverter - Three Phase with Backup"
BAT-10K1P

Hmmm, there's a solaredge 10kW battery BAT-10K1PS0B-02

"Currently only compatible with SetApp Enabled 1ph HD Wave inverters, from 2,200 - 10,000."
"DC coupled - high effiency and no G99 application required if using a G98 compliant inverter"

Interestingly the 10yr warranty says 70% retention at 10yrs, unlimited cycles, provided ambient temperature 0-40C for >=95% of warranty period. Not seen unlimited cycles quoted anywhere before.

A snip at ~£7300 plus another £1000 to £1500 (guess) for an HD-wave inverter and let's say 20 P404 optimisers at ~£50 ea is at least another round £1000.
Total £10k-ish at wholesale prices, plus various other gubbins, like some panels maybe??!!!

2x Givenergy 5kW hybrid + 9.5kWh = ~£7000

They're not quite equivalent as I think the charge rate is less for the Giv but solaredge looks like a few years longer for payback at first sight.

Thanks very much Barx, I haven't found anything in the Givenergy brochures on this point (might just be my eyesight! or maybe terminology I don't understand yet, I'm a complete novice after all!)

I hadn't realised it might be possible to connect the inverter with ethernet/rs485! Good point about contacting manufacturer, will get back to y'all if I learn more.

So, question posed:

"System with two hybrid inverters? Joint single battery or two batteries?
Hello, I have east-west facing roofs on my house, each of which can fit around 4.4kWp potentially.
I would like to know if it's possible to use one 5kW hybrid inverter per roof, both roofs feeding energy into one 10kW battery. OR is it possible to use one battery for each inverter and discharge both batteries in a sensible controlled manner to supply PV to house, or to grid. I there some connecting cable communicating between the inverters and/or the batteries for example. Thanks, homeowner."

Took a while for a reply, but given how busy things are that's fine, at least they made the effort which is commendable

Response
"You should be able to have both feeding the one battery, so long as the voltage is not exceeded - please check this with your installer."

I would indeed leave this to those that know better!

I confess it's interesting to see if I can understand it myself tho...

hmmm, need to do a bit more research to get my head around it !!!

So, question posed:

Hello, I have east-west facing roofs on my house, each of which can fit around 4.4kWp potentially.
I would like to know if it's possible to use one 5kW hybrid inverter per roof, both roofs feeding energy into one 10kW battery. OR is it possible to use one battery for each inverter and discharge both batteries in a sensible controlled manner to supply PV to house, or to grid. I there some connecting cable communicating between the inverters and/or the batteries for example. Thanks, homeowner."

Took a while for a reply, but given how busy things are that's fine, at least they made the effort which is commendable

Response
"You should be able to have both feeding the one battery, so long as the voltage is not exceeded - please check this with your installer."

It will depend a lot if the inverters can work together with comms. I can see an issue with BMS communicating to two inverters under many different circumstances. I dont see how two inverters to one battery would cause voltage issues, I CAN see how it may cause current issues. I suspect the respondent doesnt really know what theyre talking about.

Caveat Emptor!

So, question posed:

Response

I'm currently running two Givenergy hybrid inverters and two Gen2 batteries for an East West split. Each side is independent of each other and charges/discharges fine to the house as demand requires.

That's veerrry interesting 94JDH!

So the two hybrid inverters have no comms between them anywhere? How are the CT's positioned?

Do you have a schematic you'd be happy to share pls?

I'm currently running two Givenergy hybrid inverters and two Gen2 batteries for an East West split. Each side is independent of each other and charges/discharges fine to the house as demand requires.
Have you altered any settings to prevent the inverters fighting each other?

Have you altered any settings to prevent the inverters fighting each other?
No settings other than Eco and timed charged for Octopus Go set for each inverter between 00:00 and 04:29. Inverters and Batteries are in the garage with a Cat6 armoured cable to the house. Here each inverter has its own EM115 and that's basically it.

sorry didn't respond earlier, been away.
That's veerrry interesting 94JDH!

So the two hybrid inverters have no comms between them anywhere? How are the CT's positioned?

Do you have a schematic you'd be happy to share pls?
I'll have a look if I was sent any updated schematics, originally they were going to loop the two inverters together but I was advised by someone else with a similar set up (on the Givenergy official forums) to keep everything separate which seems to be working well for them as well. I've also been checking the data on the web portal.

When home I'll take a look at the CT's positions in the house.