elecsa

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hxsarge

Reaction score
looking into joining elecsa, but you have to have a site for the visit that you have installed and tested, my question is how do u notify the work before you join if your just starting out? or do you not bother until after? or do you notify building control and go through all that rubbish? headbang

I'm with napit when they assess u just say your going to notify it when u join

yea there's not too much guidance about for start ups, cheers

yea there's not too much guidance about for start ups, cheers
Actually..

if push came to shove and someone wanted to be arsey with you..

There IS official guidance in Approved Document P page 11 section b notifying work when installer is competent but not registered to self cert their work...

HOWEVER....

It is my understanding (Here-say) that most assessments are assessing your knowledge and application of BS7671 regs & rules..

NOT the notification process of Part P...

My own first assessment was carried out at the start of Part P after I had been trading for several years already,...

where electricians had been trading and working on all sorts of jobs from rewire to move a light!

so jobs, (that did not need to be notified), completed within the past few months prior to assessment were in abundance..

BUT..

I haven't heard of anyone failing an assessment because a job was not notified?

:C

The certification can be filed upto 28 days after the work was completed and so if you plan things well enough it is possible to do some qualifying work, have that checked during your assessment and file the job afterwards. If the job was completed more than 28 days before the assessment, you could technically be failed but most scheme assessors would note this as a minor non compliance (i.e. NOT SAFETY RELATED), which you would rectify, send the necessary proof to close the loop.

since your not part p reg'd, then you must notify LABC in advance of starting work and get them to pass it. you can then use that job for an assessment

or, un-officially, you can do the job, pass assessment then notify it...

You can also use an 'un-finished' job like I did the other day....

Was advised myself on this forum to contact LABC and explain the situation that job was to be used as an assessment piece. Hopefully the fees will be wavered. Good advice and will do so when I finally leave my employer and start out on my own.

Just do it, get assessed.

This was the quote from my assessor at the time

"you can use this job to learn the notification process and see what the certificate looks like that is sent to the client"

He hadn't asked whether I'd rung the LABC

Most sparks change their own c/u a couple of weeks before the assessment and as said above only do this if your competent to test it and ensure everything is safe. Then again you would be if your booking an assessment. Once approved scheme member you then notify labc so your not paying stupid amount of money for someone to say "yep that's ok, now give me the content of your wallet."

Most sparks change their own c/u a couple of weeks before the assessment and as said above only do this if your competent to test it and ensure everything is safe. Then again you would be if your booking an assessment. Once approved scheme member you then notify labc so your not paying stupid amount of money for someone to say "yep that's ok, now give me the content of your wallet."
And changing a consumer unit will tell your assessor how good a spark you are. If this is all is needed to pass an assessment this is why part p is failing.

A consumer unit can tell you a lot of things about a spark

Has he divided up circuits properly if its a dual RCD.

Has he put the highest breakers first?

Is proper Earthing and Bonding in place correctly?

Does he know how to identify properly?

Is he neat? (I consider this important)

Does he understand the IP ratings required for top surfaces?

I could go on...

There are so many things that CU tells you over a random new circuit

It shows how things have changed though. When I did my assessment when part P started in 2005 I had to show a first fix two second fixes and these had to be proper jobs like extensions. Now if you show a CU change on a TN system how will this show you understand earthing. I know nowadays most domestic needs total RCD protection but I have seen recently a few installs on TT with standard 16th edition boards that have been done since part p came in so there must be a lot of so called sparks doing jobs that don't comply which to me is a real worry.

A consumer unit can tell you a lot of things about a sparkHas he divided up circuits properly if its a dual RCD.

Has he put the highest breakers first?

Is proper Earthing and Bonding in place correctly?

Does he know how to identify properly?

Is he neat? (I consider this important)

Does he understand the IP ratings required for top surfaces?

I could go on...

There are so many things that CU tells you over a random new circuit
oh dear oh dear,

and why would that be of any importance whatsoever?

yet another thing that people do simply because its always been done like that,

can you give any logical reason why this is done by some people?

Chance my arm here.....would it be from days of fusible links in that draw a heavy/ hot load past a lower rated fuse would up its temperature to closer to its melt point??? And by grading them helps protect lower rated fusibles....duck...incoming

Latest posts